Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Flattering to be in the Chicago tribune today . . .

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jay Allen

Flattering to be in the Chicago tribune today . . .

Post by Jay Allen »

An article about our Lincoln Highway Mural Project:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 9407.story

I am designing and collaborating with the immeasurably talented Bill Hueg . . . so this job is getting the best effort it can be given by the both of us.

Two down . . . 38 to go . . . must be completed in 16 months (not the end of 2011 as the article reads. (Nor are they '200 foot murals' . . . they are 200 SQUARE FOOT murals!! Reporters rarely get it right...)

Jay Allen
Mark Summers

Re: Flattering to be in the Chicago tribune today . . .

Post by Mark Summers »

Now there's some job security. Send us pics as they go up.
You scored well with Bill Hueg. He's the real deal.
Tell us a little about the panels and paint you are using.

Mark
Jay Allen

Post by Jay Allen »

Well, since I did this for someone else . . . here's one portion of the first mural for Aurora IL - the City of Lights - and one overview of one for the city of Joliet, IL (yes, like in the Blues Brothers, THAT Joliet). They will be in 40 communities from the IN border to the Mississippi River . . .

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq14 ... G_5273.jpg

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq14 ... G_5284.jpg

Bill is amazing . . . and fast. We always work well together . . .
Jay Allen

Post by Jay Allen »

Oops - forgot to include the paints and panels info . . .

Danacolors, Classic and Chromatic oils (remmeber, Bill's a billboard painter at heart) and OneShot bulletins and lettering enamels. All on 3mm Dibond sheets - 4' x 10' panels . . .

We WILL clear some (if not all) - not sure which clear yet. Clearcvoat and paint expert (and product manufacturer) said 'automotive will work best' - but I'm not sure if it is in the budget - or maybe too 'hot' (Bill's concern) . . .

So there's the scoop . . .!!
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

As I said in my email, great job and Bill too!

I would be concerned about two component clear unless you were using the hardener in the enamels and varnishes as you go. This would be an issue with blending so not too practical for that reason.

My quesiton..."Why Clear?". While some weaker mixes might fair better with a uv clear over the top, but the pigmented colors last better on their own than many clears do anyway. If you feel it is paramount to clear, then consider the Waterborne UV clear under the Chromatic label. It is still listed on the 1Shot site so I assume it is still available. We developed this product because it works well over the billboard type work which has many types of paint. oil colors and varnishes without rewetting them. It is a pure acrylic (from Ti-cote) with a UV inhibitor so it adheres well to all other paints. It also will allow you to do touch up over the top and recoat without fear of loss of adhesion.