Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Reconstituting chipping glue

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Patrick Mackle

Re: Reconstituting chipping glue

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Hi Robert,
I think the quickest answer is to do what is easiest and cost effective.
Having said that, I think that I wrote quite a bit on reusing the glue, and that the technique was handed down saying that it gets better and better and that new glue was added
mostly to cover any loss to the batch.
I can see were using it over may cause it's "memory" to change, possibly the more it is reused the tighter the initial tendrils at which it begins to pattern become
tighter thus leading to tighter, deeper, and brighter chips. These would silver and leaf up brighter and the deeper curl would reflect light like a dished lens.
I KNOW there must have been some upside to the insistence that the chipping glue preferably be reused. Maybe it was not as plentiful or price friendly in the early period.
Maybe it stemmed from the depression and they never changed the practice. Maybe Julia Child knew the answer :lol:
Pat
David Slade

Post by David Slade »

Could you explain how to reclaim chipping glue? Or give us a link?
The shipping costs more than the glue for me...
Thanks!
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

David,
Heat it back up
Streane it
Add needed water ( Thats the hardest part ) . Most people that reuse it do a viscosity test.
Use it

Roderick
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Crazy Winky bought 15 kilo's last year in Germany after a price check on the right type of glue and am recylcling NOTHING!
I want to get some consystancy in my chipping and therefore I use new glue everytime.
The gelled glue that I retrieved on my last testpiece was full of fungus and I had to throw it away also.

My hours are expensive, my failiures are even more expensive, I am not going to save real money with a little bit of glue.

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

On the topic of animal glue and mold.
It's not unusual for your stored glue to look like a giant mutant petri dish.
Although I seem to remember storing it in a freezer without any adverse effects on it's performance, other storage methods can be used.
First, an small percentage of an anti biological such as formaldehyde or phenol could be added to stop mold growth.
The other is to simply spread any excess prepared glue that you wish to store out onto a section of black PVC plastic sheeting in the sun
and at the end of the day, snap it up into pieces. Rehydrate it again when needed.
I personally just store it in a white plastic paint bucket in the shop refrigerator and ignore the mold until
I take it out to heat up again. Upon reheating the glue, the glue turns to liquid and the mold begins to
float freely on the surface. That is when I take a square cut scrap of aluminum window screen and skim off the moldy bits.
I also purchased a bottle of Spearmint oil which you can add to the animal glue to cancel out the natural odor of it if you choose or if other people are sensitive to it.
But as for me, "I LOVE the smell of hide glue in the morning. Smells like VICTORY!!"
Pat
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

......hahaaaaa..........I do too Pat
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com