Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Lincoln Highway mural project #2 . . . Joliet IL

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jay Allen

Lincoln Highway mural project #2 . . . Joliet IL

Post by Jay Allen »

The beginnings of the motel industry had its roots in campgrounds like Pilcher Park in Joliet, IL . . . eventually somebody realized you could erect permanent tents and rent them out to travelers . . . eventually tent walls were replaced with wooden and masonry walls . . . VOILA! . . . the motel industry was born.

There's your history lesson from this second segment of the Lincoln Highway Interpretive Mural Project . . . 38 to go . . .

And here's the 'muriel' :) . . . my design - Bill Hueg pictorial . . . Sorry for the distortion - had to Photoshop adjust since the wall is only so far back in the shop there. But not quite perfect . . . some fisheye.
Dimensions 10' x 20' . . .

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq14 ... etshop.jpg
Roderick Treece

Re: Lincoln Highway mural project #2 . . . Joliet IL

Post by Roderick Treece »

Looks great Jay and Bill ! campers needs to be capitalized I think ?
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Love it Jay and Bill!!!

Hope you can fix the typo.......

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

.just change the period to a comma..........nice work gentlemen
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com
Mark Summers

Post by Mark Summers »

Great work Jay. How many man hours would you say you put
into this this piece? Keep 'em coming.
Mark
Jay Allen

Post by Jay Allen »

Mark . . . I'll answer you with specificity on this mural for production of the pictorial only - and approximations for the averages for the remainder of the murals we'll do . . . line art, projection and pictorial painting time for Joliet was approx. 40-50 hours (I'd have to get exact from Bill - and since he doesn't track it exactly, he approximates as well - but we did discuss this)

Computer files, panel routing, cutting mask, painting of border work and text box (cut and roll mask) adds another 15-25 hours on these murals. Design and administrative duties varies too much from person to person and job to job for that information to be of value . . . but that's what the production took.

Mind you, Bill is pretty fast with the pictorial work. . .