Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Room for one more Mike?.....

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Terry Colley

Room for one more Mike?.....

Post by Terry Colley »

.......On the list at the at the top of the forum

Spent the day in Liverpool at an open day at the university with my daughter who was checking out courses for her degree, With a two hour lunch break we visited a nearby pub which has been on my list to see for a couple of years now . The Philharmonic which has been featured on the forum a time or two. It was spectacular one of the best pubs I have ever seen very ornate , all the stuff we like to see here gilding ,carving , cut glass the full works. The thought occured that it would be good to have a list here of quality works of art on this scale, not national palaces and the like but pubs ,shopfronts etc. This pub is about an hour away from me so I will be back to study some more. I can start it off with this pub(post a picture or two) and shopfront in Dublin. what do think ? a top 100 of places sign/glass artists must see
Terry
Terry Colley
Stockport, England
Signwriter/maker
DAVE SMITH

Re: Room for one more Mike?.....

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Great idea Terry and good to see you on here again. This is one pub I have heard about from the adventures of Doug B who I know has some great photo's to show us. I did actually join Doug on his list of pubs around London on two occasions so for me I never needed a camera. But hopefully there will be a good few people who could come up with some great photo's. Look forward to seeing your pics of this gem in Liverpool.
Dave
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

That would be splendid idea!
A thesaurus of good quality work around the world.
If people place the adresses here i can put them in a map, so everyone can print it out when they will travel abroad.
A bit like: https://handletteringforum.com/forum ... gle#p10100

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Terry,
If you, or others, keep adding names and site to any post, it will stay at the top of the page. We created that the sticky post for Larry for the books a long time ago and we've only had a dozen or so additions to the list. I'd prefer to work it the other way....if the post keeps getting lots of additions and becomes something of an asset, we could then apply it as a sticky post. Your request is not a bad idea of course, but becomes a matter of being practical with the amount of space we can dedicate to the sticky posts.

Personally, I'd love to see someone here spend the time to find all the How-To and the Step-by-Step threads and make a list with all the links in a single thread. That'd make a great sticky post candidate. Larry White has quite a few of them already, but we don't have them in a single resource spot. Dave Smith did several, too. I believe there are others.

Best regards,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Terry....good idea and I'll have to check into the post Mike mentions.....also....when next in Liverpool you just gotta go to the Vines which is right in between the Adelphi Hotel and the Phil. It was same owners and architects and as far as joinery/millwork it is superior. There's a big billiards (actually WAS a billiards) room to the right of the bar as you walk in....check out the fireplace there as well. I'll post a ferw pictures in near future. I also have some of that amazing gate you and Alan Brindle re-gilded a few years ago. Also....did you ever get inside the Peak of the Peveril? I'm killing myself to see the inside as the exterior is SO remarkable....another photo is in order it seems. It's worth mentioning to everyone that Terry and his bride stuffed my face at supper and kindly let me crash on his "couch" one night a few years ago......and I'm still grateful!!
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

When Liverpool born former Beatle John Lennon was asked what the negative aspects of fame were he allegedly replied ‘Not being able to have a drink at the Phil.’

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/content/ ... _360.shtml
All the photo's you want to see for now.
http://www.flickr.com/search/show/?q=ph ... +pub&s=int

Doug has the detail shots we need. :D
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Terry Colley

Post by Terry Colley »

Ok Mike I will start a new post and see how we go I think it will earn it's sticky. Doug I have not been in the Peak but it is on my list and I will find a pic opr 2 of the Gates. The vine was not open at the time of day I passed maybee you could add it to the list
Terry Colley
Stockport, England
Signwriter/maker
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Terry.....I want to be careful as this is a GREAT idea of yours and don't want to step on anyones toes. But...why not start a section on "Masterpieces" decorative as well as sign-arts? I have thousands of photos and there are always the contemporary masterpieces such as Rick Glawsons PT Copperpot as well as Mark Oatis' Tivoli piece. The problem is "what" is a masterpiece and what qualifies as a photo of a masterpiece. Also......I went looking this past June in Paddington for that magnificent glass piece from the CD you gave me...silver stained with deep edge treatments. Couldn't find the place and will start posting photos of this as well tomorrow. I'd just hate to high-jack anything as there is SO MUCH in your part of the world that I have pictures of. Also....I haven't taken a breath alizer test before posting this which may have been a good idea.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Okay. I just changed the name of the thread and gave it a sticky status. Carry on!

M. Jackson
co-administrator
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons