Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

My Chipping Table progress

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Bernhardt

My Chipping Table progress

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Just an update for anyone curious about the progress of my "chipping table" as mentioned in an earlier post. https://handletteringforum.com/forum ... f=2&t=2697 Somewhere quite awhile ago Dave Smith (clever plonker) mentioned using a light table for chipping glass. I like many others had and have seen all sorts of contraptions for controlling humidity etc and found it hard to believe something so simple could work but decided to give it a try anyway. So Smitty gave me his general plan which essentially involves a half dozen tubes in an electric sign. So I did a quick test that went like....light blasted glass as usual....poured on on glue, cut and removed mask last night just before leaving for home. Came in this morning and the glue was still quite damp turned on the light table and let it sit there. By about 10am the surface was hard and dry and by noon it had started to chip at the edges....by 3pm it was quite active and is now on the table for the night. Am pretty confident when I get in tomorrow it'll be all chipped and am hoping to have the whole thing in the beautiful snail shell chip I saw before leaving.
erik winkler

Re: My Chipping Table progress

Post by erik winkler »

Sir Doug,

I saw the lighttable Mister Smith made, when I was there for the superduper workshop he gave to me and my daddaddaddyow, and was amazed how simple it was.
Untill then my only tutorials were all the posts about humidity, temperature and drying cabinets, articles and the glue chipping book from Sign of the Times.
I parked the idea in my head, but thought his lighttable at the moment was a bit limited in hight.
As some of you may remember I was constantly asking questions about size/formats: blasting cabinet, silkscreening, silvering large panels etc. etc.
Winky is still having his crazy plans to make a decorative glass tombstone process and did not want to invest in hardware that could be too small in the long run.
Since my glass-hobby space is very limited here I did not have a spot to put a large lightable.
So I made my own solution from above instead from beneath....

I will how you mine if you will show me yours :wink:

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

where can I purchase a SmithTable?
Is there a deal, getting a SmithTable with a SmithTip?
Is the table height perfect for a five year old?
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Mr Seagallyee.
I can send you table if you need one but they are cheap to make and you can then make it any height you want. All you really need is a second hand lightbox with extra tubes fitted.
I had one made for my chipping along while ago and only recently had a larger one made. I came to the conclusion after many experiments on how the chipping worked with drying out from beneath instead of on top. It never lets me down and gives great results everytime. You actually do not need alot of heat to make it work ,just a constant area of warmth and humidity. Glad it is working for you Doug.
Dave
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

Doug, did you mean to show a photo of your table ?..it's not on the link you gave
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Sir Eric and Vance-erama.....I took a photo of it today just before I closed it up. It doubles as a work table and needed it for carved signs. Will "show you mine" tomorrow when I get the camera from the shop. All to say that it worked absolutely perfectly, first time, and all it is is an old electric sign which I re-ballasted for 6 bulbs. I have about 50 bucks invested as everything except the lamps were free. Have a pile of friends in the electric signs and they just donated. Eric.....I had a good chuckle at the "Sir Douglas" thing so I owe you one. Here's a photo of my previous chipping booth.
e-Chipping Booth.jpg
e-Chipping Booth.jpg (68.61 KiB) Viewed 4560 times
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

..........and here's the new one. The old one never worked period.
e-IMG_0184.jpg
e-IMG_0184.jpg (73.96 KiB) Viewed 4484 times
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Looks to be a strong chipping table Sir Doug.
Good job.
Dave