Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Faux Antique Signs

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mark Fair

Faux Antique Signs

Post by Mark Fair »

hello letterheads,
After attending the Mazeppa Muster in 1999 and seeing the work of Dennis Gerathy. It inspired me to pursue faux antique signs.
I was wondering how many folks out there do these type signs?

I use salvaged wood and house paint (acrylic) along with water based "crackle" medium.

these signs are a blast to do!

Catharine C. Kennedy

Post by Catharine C. Kennedy »

NICE! What are you using for the crackle medium?
Catharine C. Kennedy
Chatham Center, NY
Mark Fair

Post by Mark Fair »

Hi Catherine,
I used Behr brand crackle medium.

I paint the sign, then i apply a coat of behr crackle.
after it dries for approx. 45 minutes, i appl a coat of acrylic matte clear.
after it dries overnight i scumble the crack color into the cracks and wipe with a damp rag, this defines the cracks.

hope this helps.

mark

http://www.markfair.com/flyingbiscuit
John Lennig

antique signs / Mark Fair

Post by John Lennig »

Hey Mark, I think it was you that got me stoked on this stuff!!
I've done some with oneshot, and then, got into the TV/Film industry union, which is almost all latex, with various aging techniques.,very neat stuff!

A cheap "crackle medium", paint the area with white glue, not diluted, then, when dry, go over with latex paint. I've seen the results, but not done it myself, but will this week. Sounds like chaeaper than the snazzy crackle medium...

John Lennig / SignRider
"You spelled it wrong!"