Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

asphaltum............

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

vance galliher

asphaltum............

Post by vance galliher »

Has anyone ever had luck reconstituting Asphaltum ? I have some good cans, but I also have a 1/2 qt can of Commonwealth that I got from Rick years ago that’s not hard, but definitely not liquid. I cut open the can and removed contents into pie pan. Thinking of going to Goodwill, get an old potato masher, and try mixing with thinner.
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com
Robert Schwieger

Re: asphaltum............

Post by Robert Schwieger »

Having used asphaltum in printmaking classes as a acid resist on copper and zinc plates we successfully added turps in small increments and allowed the asphaltum to absorb it overnight. Stirring the mixture and adding small amounts of turpentine until it reached the desired consistency was the basic recipe. This didn't affect the resist properties on etching plates and I assume it performs in a similar manner on glass. Don't over thin and I would believe that it would work since I have used "brushing" quality asphaltum on glass prior to chipping. Bob
Kent Smith

Re: asphaltum............

Post by Kent Smith »

Add very small amounts of turps and it is best if in a closed container. If you get it too thin, just let some evaporate. It is always reconstitutable just like Damar resin, adding and removing turps.