Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Rick Glawson

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Rick Glawson

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Remembering our friend Rick today. 7 years gone by so quick.
Dave
Dan Seese

Re: Rick Glawson

Post by Dan Seese »

Dave,

It'a hard to believe that it has been 7 years.

I owe so much to Rick. The first time I walked into his shop with Tom Seibert, we were both completely blown away. I had no idea that this kind of work was being done. Over the years as I continued to return to that esoteric conclave in Wilmington I benefited from his generous spirit and grew from the privilege of watching and working beside others in the craft. Gradually, the mistique behind the art dissipated as I tried to imitate the masters and attempted some of this luminescent glass work myself. But, similar to watching the special features on "Lord of the Rings", though the mystery was removed, I was only drawn in deeper by being able to participate in the magic behind the scenes.

The focus in my own work completely changed because of Rick and through him I gained a number of new friendships with other artists & craftsmen that endure today.

My sentiments are echoed somewhat in Dan Fogelberg's lyrics:
"The leader of the band
Is tired and his eyes are growing old
But his blood runs thru' my instrument
And his song is in my soul
My life has been a poor attempt to imitate the man
I'm just a living legacy
To the leader of the band"

My deepest respect and gratitude remains with the departed leader of the band, Rick Glawson.
Dan
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1340 - 1400)

http://DanSeeseStudios.com
http://www.DanSeeseStudios.com/blog/
http://www.facebook.com/DanSeeseStudios
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

Quiet reflection and memories.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

7 years?.... I found it so hard to imagine that it had been so long. Dan's thoughts reminded me of what a force he was,and for that matter still is,in the temperature of work being done today. I'm lucky in that I have his mahl stick (which he gave me some ten years ago) and everytime I pick it up the whole of the "Conclave experience" comes back. It was a grand time and the right place.
Jim Moser

Post by Jim Moser »

Great words Dan, for our "Leader of the Band"..... I first met Rick at a Rat Fink Party in Fullerton, prior to the first Conclave, and was blown away looking at the pictures in the little photo album he brought. I was pleased to be invited to the first Conclave, however felt really out of place looking at all the eye candy in the shop and all the projects that were being created by those whose work I had admired in Sign Craft. At that time my only experience with gilding on glass had been a Saturday demonstration by Izzy Pozner at Tom Kelly's shop.

Over the years, going to the Conclaves and talking to Rick on the phone, my knowledge of the craft increased, but there was much more to be learned from the man. Rick was truly a gentle giant, one of the most humble and giving people I have ever known. I am honored to have had him as a friend and think of him everytime I look at one of the glass pieces in my shop. We shared the same birthday so I always have a special reason to remember him on that day. ( He was five years younger )

If the measure of a man is the people who were touched by him while on this earth, then Rick has left a legacy that we can all aspire to be the best that we can be in our craft and all areas of our lives, as he was in his.....
Life is much too important to be taken seriously
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Nice words Dan. It sure was a good time in that shop and a great place to meet a bunch of nice people over those years.
Special times indeed...
Dave
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Time goes by so quickly, but the memories remain. It was hard to put Rick into words while he was alive and even more difficult to sumarize who he was now after all these years. He will always be an icon that grows more important with the passage of time.

I said it at his memorial and will mention it again here: Take the time to say those good things about folks while they are still with us and not wait until you are standing by a casket. "Flowers for the living".