Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Who's Got Money?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Robare M. Novou

Who's Got Money?

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Brothers of the Brush, Keepers of the Craft,...and all the rest of you newbies, wannabes, etc.....Can you spare this brother a dime?

I saw this on Ebay, and I figure if we pool our pennies and other loose change we can get this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/antique-reverse-gla ... 4cee602967

I've place a jar here on the counter, so when you stop by for a visit...throw in your offerings.

RMN
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Patrick Mackle

Re: Who's Got Money?

Post by Patrick Mackle »

By the light color of the black letter centers photographed from an angle, it appears most of the black paint is off the glass.
They could deteriorate further in shipping. What do you see?
Pat
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

More interestingly, what would you guys think it really is worth?
155.000,00 sounds wayyyyy too much for me.
I think somewhere around 4000,00?.....
At this point I only can spend a 1000,00 for a nice panel like this, so it will definatly not be mine.
Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
James Warwick

Post by James Warwick »

Erik... Stay on the porch.. You can't cover the shipping... :lol: :lol:
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

James Warwick wrote:Erik... Stay on the porch.. You can't cover the shipping... :lol: :lol:
Okok.... :wink:
I do not want to know what you can afford, but what do you think it really is worth?
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Hey Erik,
I think this is worth less than they are asking but more than anyone is willing to pay. :P
Seriously though, I don't believe you can really put a price tag on something like that.
It all comes down to how many want it and how bad.
Now if you can find a hidden picture of Jesus in it it will be worth ten times what they are asking.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

While calculating which cuttig wheels I should order....
I was thinking of emotional and whilingness to buy somthing like this.
What do you think this piece is worth Kelly?
Your own opinion and not the one of art critics or auctions house experts...
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

It is listed as selling from San Pedro, Ca. which is next to Wilmington where Rick Glawson's shop was.
I wonder if it was ever brought to Rick for a restoration appraisal.
The price seems too high especially in it's less than perfect condition. I wonder if it was inherited by someone who was told for years that it was worth a giant amount of money.
Pat
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

I submitted an Offer for $200.00.

The shipping costs are $1,500.00. (Somebody has been drinking waaaayyyy too much Kool-Aid)

But I told them I would pick it up, so no need for the overpriced shipping costs.

Or I could have Pat pick it up for me, and then I would have some trade bait for a copy of those R&E Salesman Pictures.

Thanks Pat!
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

What's it worth?

Only what someone is willing to pay for it.

I've never seen a sign sell for six figures, five maybe. But, not being mint condition, that is, restored. I think they'd be lucky to hit 5 figures.

There's a lot of folks out there with more play money than I. Heck, I couldn't afford my own work! Sometimes to put things in perspective, I'll drop that last digit of the price....so, would I be willing to pay $11,500 for it.....I think not. Around these parts, we'd be offerin' $3500.

I'll lay a bet that it doen't sell for the asking price. But, snatch a copy of the picture while ya can!
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

I checked out the seller's store listed on e-bay and there is a Schlitz Atlas glass beer sign in need of repair for $30,000.00.
I would love to see the look on the face of the original sign maker if he was able to see its proposed value now.
Pat
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Nobody dares to name a price?....
Hummmmm :roll:
Well for our interest:
http://www.icollector.com/auction.aspx? ... as%20sign
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

I noticed on Erik's link... the yosemity beer signs.
They sure got about the nicest chip going on in the letters.
I wonder how they got it so good?

Those pieces are sold for a nice price too.
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

I think both of those Yosemite Beer signs had been restored by Rick.....I also think that certian sign collectors like to keep it hush hush that something has been restored. The only way you could tell if it is a Glawson restoration, is that it's flawless.
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Erik,

I believe the high prices you see on the sites you note, the signs being purchased are from collectors with more money than they know what to do with.

After Esoteric closed, two R&E signs measuring approx 3' x 10 were being sold to the Sign Museum along with the George Brooke sample album.

In talking with a man that provided Rick with his biggest source of reversed sign restoration, he mentioned several things. One was the R&E pieces that were for sale, due to the size of the large pieces, they are not as desirable because most collectors simply did not have the room to display such large pieces, though the 30 x 40" of the piece you mention doesn't fall under that category.

The other was that what collectors look for is quite varied, just as our tastes vary. Just with a lot more money. The museum bought one of the large R&E signs, for $ 14k, not including shipping I believe. Pat facilitated the shipping, he might be able to add to this.

The Brooke album went for $ 2,500. Had the album gone on the type of sites your link points to, it could have been priced at 10 - 30 thousand, or more. The quality of work in the Brooke album would have been a welcome addition in the best museums in the world.Rick brought that to a meet when he first purchased it once to show. It was an amazing piece of work, and was only 4 3/4" x 7"! It was basically 10 -14 glass pieces done in miniature, of the highest quality! http://www.theletterheads.com/glawson/brookmain.html

The train pieces Rick restored, of which several he sold went for $ 10 - 20K depending on size and amount of restoration. He had one in his office that was of the smaller in the series, which was approx 1' x 4'. The larger were roughly 8' in length. The last one he purchased was for $ 4k, shipped to his shop from Georgia (?) where Rick restored and sold it for $ 20k.

So, venture a price for the first on this thread? Haven't a clue. Whatever the market would bear. Which would put this out of the price range of most of us on the board.

Want one like it, Larry would probably recreate the same for you for 8 - 10k. Others here could easily create the same piece, it's just that Larry's crazy enough to tackle a piece like that in his 'spare' time.... on a regular basis!

Vance, on the Yosemite piece: not knocking the chip, it does look nice, but.... what makes it look so good is the angel gild, or water gild, whichever was used. Use the magnifier on the site, you will see areas that were frosted, not chipped. Had that been silvered, the frosted areas would have a duller, darker look.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com