Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

silvering plastic an alternative to chrome plating plastics

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Ismael Alvarado

silvering plastic an alternative to chrome plating plastics

Post by Ismael Alvarado »

ok guys I have finally made it happen....I have silvered plastic, I will be posting pics of sample spoons with other colors......
erik winkler

Re: silvering plastic an alternative to chrome plating plastics

Post by erik winkler »

That is soo cool!
I have been investigating it also.
Did you tinned it and silvered it?

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

The older large shiny sarcofigus (sarcofigi? pl.) at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas are hollow fiber glass shells that were sprayed into molds with a chopper gun, then silvered and finally sprayed with a tinted lacquer to achieve their golden color. The company that did them had difficulties at first in spraying the silver evenly, but worked out the proceedure.
Pat
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Well what is the process?
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

I don't have knowledge of any specific process for silvering materials other than glass, except to note that I found that materials around
my silvering area would take on the silver overspray and become mirrored. From this I would suspect that anything with a fairly smooth surface that
will retain the tinning solution will also allow the silvering deposit to form as well. Back around 1987, I seem to remember that I had a mirrored leather work shoe that
stayed around my office for amusement for a while. It reminded me of how they used to bronze little baby's shoes and mount them on a fancy plaster base. I still have mine! I can remember my mother would never let me touch them, eyes only. (Probably why they are still intact today!) :oops:
Pat
Ismael Alvarado

erikwinkler wrote:That is soo cool!
I have been investigating it also.
Did you tinned it and silvered it?
Erik
yes... :D
Patrick Mackle wrote:I don't have knowledge of any specific process for silvering materials other than glass

I would suspect that anything with a fairly smooth surface that
will retain the tinning solution will also allow the silvering deposit to form as well. :
Pat
you sir are right on track...the prep of the object to be 'Chrome' is 50% the process if you dont get that mirror shine before the silvering the silver will not be shiny at all, the last part is very very important as the clear coat must not tarnish the silver

I got all of my ideas from reading this forum even if this is not the place for custom car works but its the place on how to silver....

I am also building a DIY kit for the Scale auto community, the hardest part its avoiding turning the silver's natural yellow hue even more yellow.... in mirrors its rather simple because the back paint will not affect the front side and the backing paint will not interact with the glass, in this case 2 types of paints needs to be used, the base coat can not interact with the clear coat at all and the silver is so thin that it will let the clear coat do it, even cured catalyzed paint will interact with the clear coat..

so far I have tried the usual, Permalac on permalac(wont work) automotive 2k clear coats, enamel based base and clear coats

I will be writing a how to soon with pics..the thing is so cheap anybody can do it if a poor guy from nicaragua can do it anybody can...
Ismael Alvarado

erikwinkler wrote:Well what is the process?
its basically the same as silvering mirrors, but in this case I can extend the usage to cool Candy paint colors, not only silver....
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Ismael,

What are the needed specifications of the plastic surface you think to have the tin getting attached/bonded?
Paint, or just he plastic and if so what paint or on what plastic did you use it?
I just have the feeling that not every surface will bond with tin....

Erik
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Ismael Alvarado

erikwinkler wrote:Ismael,

I just have the feeling that not every surface will bond with tin....

Erik
you are right sir...I dont use it on bare plastic, I prep the plastic first, primer, white base coat followed by clearcoat, this is my base later I apply the silvering then the protective clear coat..I have test most types of paints, auto paints: Lacquers, enamels, urethanes and cure polyurethanes they all tin well, BUT most of them especially lacquers will react with the silver at first or after I apply the clear coat....

to this point the most durable and the less reactive clearcoat I have tried is Minwax Polyurethane clear coat as a base coat and as a final clear coat I use one of sherwinWilliam 2k clearcoat..my best advice to you is to try it your self with as many base/clear coat as you can, I am still at work in this..
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Thank you I will.

Erik
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Silver will attach well to Arterial red Erik,I used it on some modern art panels about 5 years ago and they still look good . Silvered normally.
Dave
Ismael Alvarado

DAVE SMITH wrote:Silver will attach well to Arterial red Erik,I used it on some modern art panels about 5 years ago and they still look good . Silvered normally.
Dave
Did you clear it? I need to do it as the costumers like to touch it after I show them the product...
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I did clear it and then backed it with a colour.It was a modern piece and looked different.
Dave
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Not Sure if this will work, but, you can give it a try.

http://www.peacocklabs.com/permalac.htm

And for silvering plastic and rubber, try wetting agent C-22, Scroll up the page a bit and you will see it.

http://www.peacocklabs.com/products.htm#chemicals

RMN
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Ismael Alvarado

Robare M. Novou wrote:Not Sure if this will work, but, you can give it a try.

http://www.peacocklabs.com/permalac.htm

And for silvering plastic and rubber, try wetting agent C-22, Scroll up the page a bit and you will see it.

http://www.peacocklabs.com/products.htm#chemicals

RMN
while Peacock labs do have the Cheapest Spray On Chrome System they in term of silvering chemicals they are on the higher price, I have tried their permalac product and found it to be lacking in durability, you just can't compare it to 2k Polyurethane products, but the trick is to find a 2k cc that will not turn the silver more yellow...