Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Surface Guilding Question? ( Pricing)

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

John Arnott

Surface Guilding Question? ( Pricing)

Post by John Arnott »

This is a normal surface guild question.......A regular wholesale manufacture customer wants a quote to guild some back light channel letters.
They supply the set of letters (18" upper case Helvetica light) painted a goldish color to guild.
The returns a 2-1/4" deep.
Now what I've been doing is quickly Laying out the letters in upper and lower case, just like the a finished layout.
Now I exaggerate the spacing and outline the letters with a 2-1/4" outline.
Now I can quickly figure the square inch or square foot of gold needed.
The 18" upper case "K" is 4 square feet.
The lower case "e" is 2-1/4 square feet.
I price it at $75 per square foot.
What are your thoughts on this way of pricing?
Since 1978
Kent Smith

Re: Surface Guilding Question? ( Pricing)

Post by Kent Smith »

While I think your system for figuring the sq ft is good for figuring how much gold will be used, I dislike using a sq ft price for anything. It does help to figure how much time the gilding will take though so that your profitable shop rate can then be applied plus a differential factor for the gold as a material of choice for the hourly.