Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Vertical and/or horizontal for glue chip process

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Robert Schwieger

Vertical and/or horizontal for glue chip process

Post by Robert Schwieger »

What degree of risk is involved with chipping quarter inch plate glass in a vertical position following the initial steps of applying the glue and reaching the cutting stage (no vinyl mask). The glass is 13"x72" but not tempered. I know that it works on stationary glass doors and assume that this would be similar except that the glue is applied when the glass is flat (horizontal). Constraints don't allow the glass to be chipped horizontally. Thanks for the advice. Bob
Jerry Berg

Re: Vertical and/or horizontal for glue chip process

Post by Jerry Berg »

Robert,

I've brushed the glue on after letting it thicken a bit with good results. You've got to work fast getting as much glue on before it gets too dry. I was able to get a few letters at a time, then reheating the glue when it got too sticky to brush on.
I only reheated the glue enough to get a brushable consistancy which went fairly quickly.

Good luck, Jerry
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Make your own conclusions after seeing this video:
Applying the glue with brush

Note how he is pounding the glass for hours....
Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

They put the glue on too thick, and overlapped some areas. It was too thick to fly off the glass in free flying chips. Pulling the mask off with the glue still attached is a good way to get chips outside your lines as well as splotchy unchipped areas.
It looks like they used CONTACT brand shelf/drawer liner for the sand blast resist, as that is exactly how it comes off, in ragged little brittle pieces, all in all very labor intensive and an uneven chip to boot. I wouldn't want to do 300 door lites that way only to have the buyer reject them!

Pat
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

This was done with a brush. Not in any way like that video though... A wee more carefully.

Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Jerry,
That is a sweet piece. As good as gilded or mirrored glue chip looks on flat glass, it looks even better on slumped and bent glass.
Pat
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Respect Jerry!
Could you tell me some more about the brushing variables you used?

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Did they skip a step?

Aren't you suppose to let the glue dry first, before you put it in the "low humidity" room. Or is the "low humidity" room really the "drying" room....where's the heated chipping room? Or the florescent light box?

And I would never run my bare hands over the chipped area...Yikes!...Glass Spikes!

Also, I would use hot water with soap in it to loosen up and dissolve the remaining glue. And don't forget a scrub brush and some elbow grease.

I was wondering if brushing on the glue made for a better chip, as opposed to pouring it on.
It seems that the glues unevenness after brushing would allow for a more varied chip pattern as opposed to the even surface of poured glue. Any thoughts on this my fellow comrades?

RMN
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

Erik,

I just let the glue sit and thicken enough to a brushable consistency keeping in mind I did not want it to run, but stay where I put it. When it got too thick to apply I reheated the glue just enough to the consistency I found usable. I tried to maintain an even and correct thickness.

Robert,

Where the glue was thicker it really chipped out a deep chunk of glass. Not sure, maybe I'm imagining it, but I've noticed that the pattern in which I apply glue affects a chip pattern wether using a squeeze bottle or brushing on the glue. Thickness seems to be a variable also. A piece I just recently chipped has a tiger striped like chip pattern in it imitating the pattern in which I applied the glue using a siringe. The glue was cooling off and a bit thicker in this instance.
Weird stuff eh...

Jerry