Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Glue Chipping Test Result...

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Larry White

Glue Chipping Test Result...

Post by Larry White »

I recently did a glue chipping test and had an interesting outcome...
GCtest.jpg
GCtest.jpg (192.92 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
The panel on the left was sandblasted with my standard 100 mesh silica sand, and the panel on the right was sandblasted with my extra-fine 220 aluminum oxide. The same glue mixture was flowed over both panels at the same time. After chipping, I noticed that the side blasted with the sand, had an actual "pitted" texture in the chipped areas. But the chipped areas blasted with the aluminum oxide, had no texture in the chip, and was completely smooth. I would have to say, the side chipped with the aluminum oxide was significantly nicer than the sand side. I will silver this test piece, and you'll really see the difference. So, when glue chipping, sandblast the glass with the finest medium available!

Aho!

-BB

Anthony Bennett

Re: Glue Chipping Test Result...

Post by Anthony Bennett »

An interesting test.
Giving rise for different pattern creation perhaps.
Patrick Mackle

Re: Glue Chipping Test Result...

Post by Patrick Mackle »

The glass that chipped away revealed the hidden pressures that sand blasting with larger grit imparts into the glass surface.
Glass has a lengthy "memory" when pressure is exerted on it's surface.
This is a good example of why tempered glass can break when blasted too deep or with too large a grit.
The pressure that a glass cutter's wheel puts into a sheet of glass appears as a deep ragged line along the face of the break.
By viewing the edge, you can easily tell which side of the glass was scored to run the break.
Pat