Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Cycling trip through the Alps.

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

erik winkler

Cycling trip through the Alps.

Post by erik winkler »

Hello,

I just came back from a cycling trip through the Alps (I cycled through Bavaria in Germany, Northern Tirol in Austria and Southern Tirol in Italy).
During the trip I had so many great experiences (besides the tremendous/rediculous climbs over the mountains) that I constantly thought: "I wish you guys would be here, so you could see this ad experience all this history, culture, art and nature also".
It crossed my mind to make some sort of blog on the forum, but I do not know if anybody is interested....
I can tell you about the beautifull handpainting tradition of Bavarian and Tirolan houses.
I can tell you about the glass cutting shops I visited in Austria.
I can tell you about the many hand welded gilded signbrackets I saw.
I can tell you about the incredible woodcutting tradition from some German villages.
I can tell you about the cold copper hammering techniques I learned to make churchtower decorations.
I can tell you about this lady (which was half my lenght) wo was workig in reverse glass painting, gilding and silvering in the German style of 1750-1850 for 50 years now and was so happy to meet me.

Just let me know if you want to hear anything.

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Anthony Bennett

Re: Cycling trip through the Alps.

Post by Anthony Bennett »

I would be interested to read all about this Erik especially of the lady.
With pictures if you have them please.
Ingrid Mager

Post by Ingrid Mager »

Erik,
You are so incredibly fortunate to live in Europe with all this art and antiquity simply oozing out of the cracks, every which way you turn.
I want to see it ALL!

~Inga
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Hi Erik,
I am ALL EARS! And eyes! (and my nose is around here somewhere :roll:) Please proceed.
Pat
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I hope the lady comes and visits this forum. Someone who has been working on her own for so long is bound to have some different approaches and methods. :)
So let's hear more about this trip and see some of your pictures!
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Add my voice to hearing all you'd like to share.