Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Back to Traditional Signs

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Andrew Grundon

Back to Traditional Signs

Post by Andrew Grundon »

Has anyone out there successfully completed the quest to abandon Plastic and Vinyl, and return to hand-painting?
You see, I have bills to pay, and a business that is doing ok, but I need to get back to "what it's all about" before insanity kicks in ,and I'm rendered a gibbering idiot by builders' vans, lettered in black Helvetica medium. Any pointers as to how to make the transition without making my family homeless and destitute would be very welcome!
erik winkler

Re: Back to Traditional Signs

Post by erik winkler »

You have the same quest as I do and probably more on this forum.
Be the best in what you.
Do your handpainting and other stuff in the late hours after regular day work.
If this exceeds your day job you can risk it.
In this time people are afraid to pay more then vinyl, so a steady customer range is neccesary.

Ofcourse you can just jump in, but it could take a long time befoe you can feed the childeren.....
Marketing!
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Hi Andrew,
I never moved to the quicky-sticky.. It was a tough call to say to clients-- "No we don't do that" and target all my marketing and image in that direction but its paid off- People WANT and NEED hand lettered stuff.,
The net has done serious good for my business- Spend on your website ( not google words) but good optomisation and a good design.
The thing about the net is is so search specific, so you can be found, especially if your doing something thats hard to find...

Good luck, and go for it!
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi Guys and Andrew in particular. I guess you know I also never made the transition to computers and it's hard to say from where I sit how anyone could do that. BUT...me thinks a good place to start is just "start". When something comes up that you know is worth trying in paint just do it. I like Bill Riedell's call on it is something like.....don't find the time MAKE the time. He was speaking about learning hand lettering but I think the process will be much the same. Just turn off the tele for the next while. On another note.....good to see you face here Andrew. All this interest and passion will take you somewhere. Tell me....have gotten any better at the "American Speak" you nearly killed me with in Scotland? I'll be testing you again when we next meet.
Andrew Grundon

Post by Andrew Grundon »

I gotta say guys, it's great to have the moral support from people who know what they're talking about. I already do a fair bit of hand-painting, but I want it to be all painted, carved, etched, gilded............you know.
I'm going to do it.
Watch this space.
I'll turn this business around and give it back it's soul.
I'll keep you all posted,so maybe I can help someone else do the same thing.
I'm going to need help and advice though, so I will probably be bothering my betters on a regular basis.

Really great to hear from you again Doug. I'll have to try to teach you some Cornish accent in return for the Virginia one you taught me.
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Andrew,

Like Doug, I never made the big switch to computers and CNC's. I've been fortunate to have maintained my place in the market despite the wave of technology around me. People see and know the difference mostly because I keep it in front of them. Education, here, is probably the key. Education and skill. Although I carve slower than a CNC, I don't carry the overhead and in the end, I'm keeping more money. I tell my customers that "I don't waste my time or their money." :D I can also move and grow in any direction I choose.....not restrained or limited to the purchased "technology" in my computer. I will always have something "different" to offer.

Advice? Look to take your work to places where it will be tough to follow. "Tradition" includes advancing the craft, not just maintaining it. IMHO

I wish you well! It can be done.

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Chris Lovelady

Post by Chris Lovelady »

a fella named Sean Star out of Big Bear, Ca is making the jump http://www.starrstudios.org/ and by jan 2011 is going vinyl free. take a look at his site as it looks like he is going totally green as well.. saw his post on Creative signmakers of America BB. http://creativesignmakers.proboards.com ... hread=3236

looks like he is doing a good job of educating his customers and seems to do a right good job of hand lettering. worth a look at his site and maybe a call to see how to get started.

Chris Lovelady
Andrew Grundon

Post by Andrew Grundon »

Thanks for that Chris, I'll check it out asap!