Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

good to be back part2

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Bernhardt

good to be back part2

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Just got back from a trip to your part of the world Ash and actually had a 5 second conversation with Perry as well. We just couldn't connect as my cell phone won't work over there and he was stressing over a job he was into ;=). I did manage a couple of days out with our pal Smitty and saw (as always) some amazing work. All this preamble is just to say what outstanding work was shown in the first post by you and Jeffery P. and what a great welcome home it all was to find work of this caliber and this little BB being used by such a diverse group. The information/techniques also were of huge interest.
2e-IMG_20100715_201446.jpg
2e-IMG_20100715_201446.jpg (122.67 KiB) Viewed 5457 times
a shot in front of a world class ale house with my son far right and Dave on my left.....(what the heck it was here)
2e-Letters1.jpg
2e-Letters1.jpg (67.34 KiB) Viewed 5461 times

and a preview of one of the many things I saw there....much more to come.
Patrick Mackle

Re: good to be back part2

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Hey Doug,
Glad to see you've been off trompin' around snap'n shots. I see you got one of the troll as well, even visited his golden lair and escaped with your life!
You know, he sucks the talent out of his victims- How else can that bloke be SO good?
Great little "teaser" photo you added with it's hypnotic drop shadows. Just a hint of what's to come? I'll surely be waiting to see more.
Take care and rest up,
Pat
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

We sure did have a good time Doug and seen many fine glass signs and carving work.
I took Doug to meet a couple of antique dealers that had been involved in alot of removal of original glass work from
London pubs and had sold them to dealers and businesses over the years. These guy's showed us directions to another salvage and Architecturual business in the London area that had some beautiful amazing reverse glass signs for sale. After walking up and down a main rd for an hour we walked into the front shop area of the business to find these incredible glass gems all 38 ft by 9 ft with original mouldings and carvings.
3.jpg
3.jpg (98.2 KiB) Viewed 5395 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (102.58 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (77.33 KiB) Viewed 5393 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (80.86 KiB) Viewed 5395 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (122.72 KiB) Viewed 5393 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (85.66 KiB) Viewed 5391 times
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (98.74 KiB) Viewed 5392 times
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Corner-Art.jpg
Corner-Art.jpg (126.65 KiB) Viewed 5413 times
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Beautiful and skillful work! A bygone era, fortunate they were saved.
I was focusing on the details and magnifying up the sections as big as I can on my Mac. After some time I was snapped out of
my "reverse engineering" mode when I found my mouth was as dry as a fresh tea bag. I dare you to study these pieces without your mouth hang'n open!
Please sir, can I have some more??
Thanks for posting these,
Pat
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hi Pat. I expected you to be on your way to old Larry's by now. Thought you would like these panels,they certainly do have the wow! factor to them.
The cost to buy all 38 feet of this glass is £20,000 + vat , probably cost that much just to ship them to you also. Doug and I was thinking the maker is the same as The Old Blue Last signs a chap called Kelly. I bet he could'nt wait to roller on that pink background and finish up.....
Troll.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

These guys were sick in the head, to make this you had to be!
I just can not imagine making this cummulation of techniques, when you do not have an example who showed you that this was possible: Pure geniousus.

Doug/Dave please send me the adresses of these locations for the "Signs of the World map"?

I was just making Paris included in the map and these locations are definatly worth being added also.

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

These signs are on Essex Rd ,Islington ,London Erik.
Dave
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

It is on the map.

Here is some extra information about it:
Reclaimed antique victorian pub mirrors dating from 1876. Removed from The Finish public house in Bermondsey SE1 London. 38 running feet of eight exceptional quality acid etched mirrors with gold leaf writing and mahogany frames with gilded capitals.
The mirrors were exhibited in 1951 at the whitechapel gallery folk art show called Black Eyes and Lemonade.

Image shown is 12ft x 9ft high

available 38ft x 9ft high
Erik 1.jpg
Erik 1.jpg (59.42 KiB) Viewed 5210 times
Erik 2.jpg
Erik 2.jpg (64.35 KiB) Viewed 5209 times
Erik 3.jpg
Erik 3.jpg (49.64 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
Erik 4.jpg
Erik 4.jpg (48.98 KiB) Viewed 5216 times
Price : £20,000+vat

Erik Schweig
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Pheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew.