Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Italy

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Italy

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I Just come back from an 8 day break in (Lake Garda) Italy with my family.
We visited Venice for 1 day and I was hoping to get to an island just off Venice called Murano which is famous for all its glass work but we never got the time.
I found some interesting shop fronts and interiors while in Venice,this is just a few shots of a small corner of this wonderful city,hope to be going back again soon for a 4 day trip so will get a better look around including Murano with its glass. some more shots to share here on the forum enjoy..
Dave
italy-772.jpg
italy-772.jpg (154.41 KiB) Viewed 4640 times
italy-773.jpg
italy-773.jpg (112.22 KiB) Viewed 4642 times
italy-690.jpg
italy-690.jpg (66.76 KiB) Viewed 4640 times
italy-689.jpg
italy-689.jpg (53.9 KiB) Viewed 4637 times
italy-686.jpg
italy-686.jpg (93.16 KiB) Viewed 4636 times
italy-775.jpg
italy-775.jpg (89.97 KiB) Viewed 4633 times
italy-684.jpg
italy-684.jpg (96.03 KiB) Viewed 4636 times
Last edited by DAVE SMITH on Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
Tony Segale

Re: Italy

Post by Tony Segale »

excellent work...
Last edited by Tony Segale on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

Those first couple of photos appear to be gold engraving. Is that what we're looking at? Is it fully gilded with the design engraved and backed up with black?

If so, it's an extraordinary piece of work. I can't imagine how long it would have taken to do such a large piece in such a fine and time-consuming technique.

Also a fabulous interior in that cafe/restaurant. Wow!

Yet another place to put on my wish list.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hello Bruce.
What you are seeing is a print of black enamel screened on the glass and then water gilded full sheets of 23crt gold leaf using gelatine over the entire area.
It does appear in the photo to have an engraved look, I can see that also.
Nice work ... the gild was very cloudy all over but still looked good and actually made it look kind of old. lot of work for someone.. My wife is standing next to it in the shot to give some idea of glass size. I did end up taking picks of the family also seen as it was a holiday....
Dave
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Black screened and guilded, you normally see that on much smaller pieces I believe, nice photo and nice find Dave. Thanks for sharing.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Yes I would say the same Anthony. I noticed the join in areas where they matched the artwork on the big window (printed in two ) plus the screen mesh mark was showing also but still a very clean job.
Dave
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Bump, Love these photos.
Anyway, It's my wedding anniversary in December so I tried to talk the wife into going to Venice for four days. It's a romantic place to go and I could take more photos like daves of Giordans.
However it would appear that Venice isn't warm enough in December so I have to endure( !) her idea of romance which is a trip to Dublin for a tour of the Guiness factory and the Waterford Glass Factory instead.
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Dave,
Thanks for posting the great photos! The Cafe is Called " Cafe Florine". I conceder it to be on my list of must see places. I have allot more reference photos of the interior. I will post them when I get a chance. I would love to know the history about who and when It was painted.
Years ago when I work with Cheese Cake Factory they had a new concept store they were working on. It was all based on back painted glass art from there. The photo is a copy from one of the pieces in the cafe.
Attachments
backpainted glass1.jpg
backpainted glass1.jpg (58.25 KiB) Viewed 4366 times