Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Scalloping large glass

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

Scalloping large glass

Post by Roderick Treece »

I am getting ready to do a project on some large glass 36" x 60" oval .I would like to do some scalloping on the edge but I have only done small peices where you put the scallop tool in the vise and hold the glass in your hands.Would it be o.k. to have the glass on the edge of a table and have the tool in your hand to do the scalloping?

Roderick
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

I believe that holding the tool in your hand is the original concept. If you had tried it in reverse in the Rawson and Evans shop, they probably would have pointed you to the door.
Pat
Larry White

Scalloping Large Glass....

Post by Larry White »

Hi Roderick-
The nice thing about attaching the tool to the bench and manipulating the glass is you can get a better feel for the correct positioning of the glass under the bit, then use the weight of the glass to aid in snapping out the scallop chip. It seems easier to develop a rhythm and achieve a more consistant scallop. I used to hold the tool, but found I liked it better the other way. But on a large piece of glass like that, I'd most likely be forced to hold the tool. Perhaps an extension of the handle would aid in better leverage making it easier and more consistant to use. Clamping the glass down to keep it from moving or flexing would be a good idea. ...practicing first would hurt either. Good luck!
Larry White
That's enough for now... it's gettin' late
Town Of Machine
http://www.walljewelry.com
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

I've never done scalloping, nor seen it done, but I've always wondered about it. I thought it was wheel-cut like brilliant cutting.

Could someone give a brief description and post a photo of the tool.
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Hi Bruce,

Here is a picture of the nipper and a glass sampler with the edges chipped. The circular dots at the top were brass clips with a brass chain attached from the back to hang. The back was finished with flocking.

The nipper can be hand held, but for smaller pieces, it was generally bench mounted. By placing the glass under the cutter and snapping the glass down, it chipped a piece of glass out about 5/8" long, 1/4 wide. The face of the cut is smooth, the edges sharp. By running a hand seamer over the edges it created a nice effect, with no sharp edges.

I believe this was once touted as the poor mans glass beveler.

ImageImage

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

For anyone interested, Danny sells his glass nipper at his site:

http://www.baronian.com/

Danny made them for Rick at Esoteric Sign Supply.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Catharine C. Kennedy

Post by Catharine C. Kennedy »

I've got one and it works a treat! (but does require practice!) :lol:
Catharine C. Kennedy
Chatham Center, NY
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Thanks for the tips.I was going to use it on a mirror I'm doing for my wife but she told me she doesn't care for the scalloping look.I'll try not to hold it agaisnt her.

thanks again and I love my Tool from "Danny"

Roderick