Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Batching Photos in Photoshop

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

Batching Photos in Photoshop

Post by Roderick Treece »

Anyone out there know how to do this ? I am trying to resize a group of photos and I was told by Danny it could be done in photoshop.

Thanks
Kelly Thorson

Re: Batching Photos in Photoshop

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Hey Rod!
Maybe you should ask Danny..... :P
I am a big fan of Picasa - it's free and while pretty useless for all but very basic editing it catalogues all the pictures on your computer and you can scroll through the decent size thumbnails if you are like me and not so good at adding tags. If I want to resize a bunch of pictures I just select them and export to folder at whatever size I want. It's real quick and easy.

Here is a link that explains how to do it in photoshop. Seems pretty simple.
Last edited by Kelly Thorson on Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

Danny always tells the truth, almost always.
You can resize in Corel Photo, also.

But, to answer your question,

Yes, I know how to do this.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Jeff Lang

Post by Jeff Lang »

Rod,
One way I know is to use the Contact sheet application under the file, automate menu. You then choose how many images across & down the page which will give the size of each image. Then select the folder where the image files are stored, and press go. It will automatically line up all of the images on a page and put the file name under if you wish.
Hope this explains it a bit, I have used it before and it was easy to figure out once you get to the contact sheet wizard.

Jeff
Jeff Lang
Olde Lang Signs
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
412-732-9999
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Jeff,
That sounds like THE cool deal. Thanks for sharing.
Pat
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

I usually do this using Lightroom, so I can't say I have the EASY answer if only using PS. (It's very easy in LR)

One good way in PS is to create an action. Pick one image, start the action recorder, then resize the current image to whatever size you want and save it in a folder of your choice (like JPGs_600PX) and stop and save the action. You give the action a name like "Resize to 600 pixels". Then try it out on a few individual images to make sure it is working correctly.

To do a larger group, open "Bridge" from Photoshop (Br, next to Help) in the top title bar and find your folder of full size images. Select the group you want to batch resize.

Go to Tools>Photoshop>Batch and pick the Action you created earlier. When you hit OKAY, it will run the action on all selected images.

This works fairly well as you get to create the action with a variety of personal adjustments and put them in a folder of choice. You could, for example, do a similar action that changes the image from color to black and white, change it from Adobe RGB to sRGB, and even run a sharpener before saving to the file folder. Some people even let the same action save 700 pixel versions in one folder, then continues the same action that resizes the images to 200 pixel thumbnails in another folder.

Lightroom is a much more powerful version of Bridge and works great for my image collections.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

One more option. I'd call it either the lazy man's version or the poor man's version since you won't even need Photoshop:

Open your email program and look in the preferences or setup. Find the option in the outgoing attachments to automatically resize your photos before it sends them. Save that setting to whatever size you want from the list of options. Then send an email to yourself with the selected bunch of photos. Go to your "sent" folder and open the recently sent file. In the attachments window, right mouse click on it and pick SAVE ALL. Save them to your hard drive in a folder of your choice.

After you save the files from the email, delete it and delete the incoming email file.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Rod,

I would do it Jeff's and Mike's way.
Here a hands on tutorial specially for you: Automate resize photoshop files video

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Thanks everyone. I'm all batched up and ready to go.

Roderick