Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Will paint mask stick to a gilded surface?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

joe cieslowski

Will paint mask stick to a gilded surface?

Post by joe cieslowski »

I have a job that would sure be made easier (for me) if I could gild the surface first, then mask, carve, paint and remove the mask. I use Avery paint mask.

Has anyone tried this? Will it work? Will the mask somehow affect the gild?

My other option is to carve the entire piece, paint and gild and the entire piece and then paint the logo image over the gild.......will the paint stick? (1 Shot)

Thanks in advance!

Joe,
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
John Arnott

Post by John Arnott »

Joe, Don't do it! Never even put tape on a gilded gold area, if anything lifts. . .you've got a real mess to fix. It will show where you repaired. It may be more difficult to guild after you carve, but it much safer if its the last thing you do. Have fun John Arnott
Since 1978
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Joe,
You have me curious what the design looks like?...and why you'd want to gild first?

Normally, we gilded last or almost last. I'd be afraid of lifting the gold if you put mask or transfer tape over it.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Rick Sacks

Post by Rick Sacks »

Joe, even if you didn't burnish the mask down, so it possibly might not lift the gold, it would alter its appearance from the adhesive residue. Low tack transfer tape that is hand cut might work, but still is too iffy for my taste.
Mendocino, California
"Where the redwoods meet the Sea"
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Thanks.....No easy way out for me I guess. Carve, paint, gild and touch-up. I'll stick to the tried and true.

Thanks Again......boy, this could have been a real mess!

Joe,
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!