Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

1-Shot size ?!

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

alan johnson

1-Shot size ?!

Post by alan johnson »

:?: I have heard that 1-Shot gold size has been reformulated. Without going into a big rant, I tried a new can and found it unsatisfactory. Does any one know how to identify a new can from the old stuff, is there a code that indicates when it was manufactured. Has any one found a fast drying size that is decent? AJ :(
"Maintain"
Doug Bernhardt

Re: 1-Shot size ?!

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi Alan.....this is news to me and have a few cans of the old stuff in the shop. I also will be interested in the results and will make an enquiry from my supplier( Canadian Signcrafters) Monday. They generally know their products. A similar situation arose with the LeFranc slow size a few years ago and to avoid any problems I switched over to Luna....there might be a replacement as the 1-shot is actually just an old varnish formula as Rick Glawson explained it to me a number of years ago.
BruceJackson

Re: 1-Shot size ?!

Post by BruceJackson »

I'm curious what was unsatisfactory about it?

I have always used Vipond's gold size, but that's no use to most readers of this forum, as the manufacturer is Australian and their products aren't readily available internationally (as far as I know).

------

Alan, you may not have wanted a rant, but I always like a good rant....hahaha, so I'll add one.

I've always hated the secrecy that paint manufacturers have clung to. They don't educate us sufficiently about their products and then we are dependent on their "system" and unable to deal with changes in their products and formulations. If we know how they've formulated a type of paint and understand it's properties, we can make an informed decision about it's use and limitations. We're not all going to rush off and copy their recipe. Why would you bother?

To paint makers: Just tell me what you've put in it, so I won't get caught out by incompatibilities.