Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Memorial

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Bryce Hutchinson

Memorial

Post by Bryce Hutchinson »

hope this works, 1st time posting a photo. It's not glass, but it's gold. 1st surface anyway. Thanks to all who post in this forum, awesome, awesome stuff. The memorial was a perfect fit for Mike Jacksons Centenial Eagle, Thanks Mike.
This, just completed, is the center panel of the Memorial. Two name panels, now in progress, of deceased Veterans Honored in the Rogue River area will be mounted on either side.
Ground work, cement, metal fab, and lighting, are being bid now. Due Date, for this work and mine, Nov. 5. I'll be done, don't know about the rest.
Attachments
_700-Memorial-1.gif
_700-Memorial-1.gif (190.28 KiB) Viewed 3723 times
Travis Stanley

Re: Memorial

Post by Travis Stanley »

Beautiful piece. Is that laser etched?
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

No laser can do that good a job that deep, and looking at the lighter gray color in the etching proves it.
I'm thinking sand blasted on Black Absolute.
Working on some myself, it's being sand blasted with text and half tone photos for a golf memorial wall.
Blasting with 150grit Alum. Oxide, then white highlighting with Lithichrome paint.
Gold leaf looks great on black granite.
Pat
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Nice piece indeed.
Bryce Hutchinson

Post by Bryce Hutchinson »

As usual with his postings, Patrick is spot on. Exception, I used 60 grit silica sand, use once & toss. The panel didn't seem to layout the way I usually like to work, Gold incised letters, which pick up the light much better than raised, and have the gold next to the black. Held my breath until mask came off the small Raised details, less than .125" in some spots. Have no one to blame but myself for adding unneeded stress to the project. Thanks for the positive feedback. Hey Robare M. Novue, love your safe work, I may have one to do myself, please, get ahold of me at hutchinsonsigns@mac.com if you would. Thanks, Bryce