Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Buying a tow behind compressor

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

Buying a tow behind compressor

Post by Roderick Treece »

I have been thinking of buying a tow behind compressor for a long time. Any advise on what to watch out for would be helpful.

Roderick
Patrick Mackle

Re: Buying a tow behind compressor

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Rod,
I've rented quite a few. I like the ones that use a Ford 302, half the cylinders are the air compressor, driven by the other four. I've also rented the four cylinder diesel ones as well. (keep them down wind unless you like exhaust coming into your air helmet)
In the long run though, I find it better for me (as few times that I need one) to just mark the job up and rent a new one. If it breaks down, they bring a replacement.
It will simply rust up in your ocean air unless you protect it.
Pat
Mark Summers

Re: Buying a tow behind compressor

Post by Mark Summers »

How many CFS are you looking for? Will you be doing just glass?
I think Larry White from what I've read has the air compressor
thing dialed in. I have a 185 cfs diesel. I do sandblast signfoam
wood, rock etching mostly.

Mark