Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Gold prices

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Patrick Mackle

Gold prices

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Surprise. I was rummaging through an old file cabinet and found a dusty little baggie of 24K finegold nuggets weighing in at .215 troy ounces.
Just for kicks I called the refiner that had refined them back in 2003. In 2003 the average price per ounce of 24K fine gold was $319.00 per troy oz.
Today the refiner will buy them back minus 5% fee. (would have been 15%, but they were the original refiner, thus 5%) My return would be $1,320.00. I should have bought a lot more gold back in 2003!
Pat
Roderick Treece

Re: Gold prices

Post by Roderick Treece »

Hi Pat,
I had to do a price check today for a gold job. Here are the prices from Sepp.
All patent leaf
23.5 monarch 878.40
crocadile 23.5 857.80
manette 23.5 812.80
12k monarch 572.80
crock 588.40
manet 544.00

Man I wish I'd stocked up years ago !
Patrick Mackle

Re: Gold prices

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Rod,
I think the only problem with stocking up on gold leaf is that the ambient temperature changes, and humidity changes may affect the adhesion of the rosin coated paper leaves, on loose leaf anyway. Even if they are unopened, funny things seem to happen, materials can migrate with time. Might make it cling tighter to the papers. Overall though, I've stored some books up to 8+ years without drastic results.
Pat