Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Bruce Jackson's photo archive 10 - Benny's butcher

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

BruceJackson

Bruce Jackson's photo archive 10 - Benny's butcher

Post by BruceJackson »

This old style butcher shop is still a working business. It's in a town called Cobargo in NSW.

It may not look much at first glance, but each of the four door panels had a lovely sign with an edible animal featured. Note some of details.....nicely stippled background (no one stipples backgrounds anymore), bit of colour glaze work combined with gold leaf for the cow. aluminium paste for the border line.

Other things I like are the pretty leadlight upper glass and what about that sign hanging under the verandah!
Attachments
P1207136.jpg
P1207136.jpg (75.41 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
P1207139.jpg
P1207139.jpg (62.68 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
P1207143.jpg
P1207143.jpg (53.91 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
P1207145.jpg
P1207145.jpg (72.85 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
Last edited by BruceJackson on Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony Bennett

Re: Bruce Jackson's photo archive 10 - Benny's butcher

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Nice post again Bruce, do you have a picture of the other panel as well please?
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

The other door wasn't open, so I didn't get good shots of it. The guys in the shop were busy and although they tolerated me pestering them about the signs and taking photos including from inside....I felt it would be pushing their patience too far to ask for more shots of the other door as well.

The other panel with the sheep on the open door wasn't as good as the cow and the condition wasn't as good either. Here's a cropped photo of it, but it's kind of a weird looking fat little lamb.
Attachments
P1207140.jpg
P1207140.jpg (98.77 KiB) Viewed 3415 times
P1207138.jpg
P1207138.jpg (108.33 KiB) Viewed 3415 times
dennis kiernan

Post by dennis kiernan »

I like the picture of the cow. What kind of paint do you think was used for the orange modeling on the gold leaf?
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

it's not quite as orange in the other photos I've got.

It would just be gold size with a drop of colour added. You can see the matt areas are gold-size applied before it was water-gilded. Well, it's just more of that, but tinted. It's a glaze, so you can see the gold coming through.

Often Asphaltum (Black Japan) is mixed with gold size for this, but you can use any other color too. This looks like it could have some burnt sienna in it.