Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

adhesives?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

adhesives?

Post by Roderick Treece »

I am looking for an adhesive that is,
1) 2 part and mixes through a "mixing tip" and uses a chualking gun style pump.
2) has the consistance of chaulking.
3) flexable
4) withstands heat 100 d to 115 d
I've been told this product excists but I don't know the name.

Roderick

P.s. Mike ,the hardest part ( for me ) regarding posting photo's is putting them on my server (web site) as far as thats concerned I'm at a total lost.
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Roderick,

3M probably has a product that will work for your needs. Try R.S Hughes, they should have a store in so cal.

Short of that, try a wholesale fastener supplier, contractor supply or look in the yellow pages for adhesives (better yet use google). In addition to fasteners, they usually carry a line of adhesives.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Roderick Treece

Thanks Danny,
I looked up 3m ,wow!I am going to try the 5200.I 'll let you know how it works.
Roderick
Jeff Umsted

Post by Jeff Umsted »

I looked up 3m ,wow!I am going to try the 5200.I 'll let you know how it works.
Roderick
Hi Roderick! Just a quick warning with 5200...."Make sure you get it where you like it!"

We used to use this stuff all the time on boats for sealing the decks to the hulls, even without fasteners the stuff grips and grips and grips. Kinda make sure you don't have to take your project back apart after applying 5200! You will have a little "fudge time" till it sets up to micro adjust the positioning, other then that it is awesome stuff and will last a very long time.

Have fun!!
Jeff
Jeff Umsted
Lapeer, Michigan
Roderick Treece

Jeff
Thanks for the info regarding "5200".I tryied it and I got a very bad failier with it.After a week of sitting it failed .I skeezed a dollar size amount on my background (tile backer board and cultured marble).they were 4"x 4" sqaures. of each.IPut them together and let them sit for a week.Today I tryied a few samples I had and it was one of the failiers.
My samples include
1) Flex able bondo (Failed)
2) liqiuded nails not sure but doesn't look good)
3)silcone with roughed up surfaces(without roughed up surfaces failed)
4)P.L. polyurethane Premium adhisive (juryies out)
5) Rain buster 900 The best so far!
6) 3m 5200 (failed)
7)3m dp 460 ns (failed)
I am trying to let all these samples rest a week and then subjecting them to 5 minutes in a steam chamber,at that point they are removed and I try to pull the pieces apart.
So far the Rainbuster 900 has heald up the best.
Jeff, Please let me know how you applyied the 5200 as after a week I could pull the peices apart with not much probelm and the center of the glue was still fresh after a week.Alot of people speak highly of the 5200 so maybe I'm useing it incorrectly.

Roderick

PS thanks Mike for getting things back up!
Jeff Umsted

Post by Jeff Umsted »

Tack free in 48 hours, completely cures in 5 to 7 days. The bond is extremely strong, retains its strength above or below the waterline. Use on fiberglass deck to fiberglass hull, wood to fiberglass, portholes and deck fittings, motors on fiberglass transoms, under mouldings, hull seams above and below the water line. For permanent bonds.

Roderick, Sorry to hear of the failed test. Me thinks that it wasn't fully cured yet. We used a calk gun to apply and applied to a clean surface, thats about it. I am sure you read the above and I am thinking that if you were joining fiberglass or wood then maybe there wouldn't be a problem.

For marble I would try epoxy! Just a thought, maybe try these guys:http://www.westsystem.com/ rough up the marble first and give it some teeth.

Are you making the tiles a permenant part of the marble? Why do you have to have a "flexible bond"? This sounds like a intresting project/test you are attempting.....What is it? If your at liberty to say :roll:
Jeff
Jeff Umsted
Lapeer, Michigan
Roderick Treece

I am useing this in a "steam shower" for my house.Sorry It doesn't have a sign porpose but after all this reshearch it might.I have found that Rainbuster 900 adhisive has worked the best.
Rt