Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Quick rubbing varnish.

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Leo Calleros

Quick rubbing varnish.

Post by Leo Calleros »

I missed out on the Ebay sale. I was out of town working and didnt have time to be on the computer. mailed the guy and he told me maybe next year, oh well.

Does anyone here know where I could find some.
Bob Ficucell

Re: Quick rubbing varnish.

Post by Bob Ficucell »

Leo Calleros

Post by Leo Calleros »

Looked there already. I found out who the manufacturer of this was a while back, just never got a chance to get some of it.
Billie DeBekker

Post by Billie DeBekker »

Leo,
Might try giving Rick Dolphens a Call.. He bought the rest of Rick Glawson's Inventory.. I picked up some varnish and a whole lot more from him at Correll's and Hueg's meet the first of the month.
Leo Calleros

Post by Leo Calleros »

Thank you sir, I am for ever grateful. I will call in tomorrow.
Kim Ross

Post by Kim Ross »

Quick Rubbing Varnish is just another name for a short-oil varnish. Basically they have less oil and are better suited for items you want a hard glossy finish on. A long-oil varnish has more oil and is more flexable..spar varnish. Try " H.BEHLEN Rockhard table top varnish" Part # B603-28505. This is an excellent short-oil varnish ( quick-rubbing ) available on the internet, just Google the Name or the part number and it will come up.
Leo Calleros

Post by Leo Calleros »

So this Behlen will work the same as the Commonwealth?
Kim Ross

Post by Kim Ross »

Couldn't tell you that, I've never used Commonwealth. what I do know is that when something is no longer available you try another product or you do without. Behlen products have been around a long time...they are a quality product used by lots of craftsmen. It's a short-oil varnish. It's like running out of Mobile gas and trying Shell. They are both quality products. People get used to using a product that they know and trust. When it's gone we are all a little skiddish about trying something else. The only way you will ever know is to buy a quart and use it on a junk piece of glass instead of your prized project..I really don't think you will be dissapointed. Good gas is good gas and good short-oil varnish is good short-oil varnish.
Leo Calleros

Post by Leo Calleros »

Well, thanks for the heads up. Its worth experimenting with since the stuff is fairly reasonably priced at about 17 bucks a quart.
Kim Ross

Post by Kim Ross »

Give it a whirl and let me know how it works out for you. Are you going to use it for Damar varnish? Someone turned me on to some Damar varnish from Rick Glawson, and I noticed that it was a light honey color. The damar that I made from Behlen was slightly darker in color. That may or may not be an important factor to you. Again, I would recommend that you spring for a quart of the Behlen and test it out. Like you said, $17.00 is not that bad a price for a quart..and if it works out for you, so much the better.
Leo Calleros

Post by Leo Calleros »

Well Kim, you were absolutely right. I mixed up some damar and res-n-gel with the Behlen and a small amount of Japan dryer and it worked great. I brushed samples onto a piece of glass in different thicknesses and it seems to be doing a pretty good job. I used a toothpick to create the embossed pattern and it held great.

I am going to do a simple gilded piece in a few days and will take pictures.

But so far, so good. The Behlen rock hard table top varnish seems to do the trick.

I am ordering a pound of pale damar gum crystals to make my own damar varnish. Much much cheaper this way.

Thank you very much for the tip.
Kim Ross

Post by Kim Ross »

You're most welcome, Leo. Glad it worked out for you.