Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Linseed paint

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Lars Wacherhausen

Linseed paint

Post by Lars Wacherhausen »

After studied the danish history about signpainting in Denmark I know that, we have used linseed painting both for letters on signs (not truck lettering) and backing up gold.

I would like to know whats your experienced is about linseed paint in your countries? As far that I can see is linseed paint not something they do much about in USA or England?

-Lars
David Slade

Re: Linseed paint

Post by David Slade »

I have seen artists paints mentioned a lot in the old sign painting books. For blended shades and pictorial work mostly. They called them "color ground in oil". As I understand it, they mixed these oil pastes with Japan or oil based varnish to make them durable.

I think this is what Larry White is using on his impressive blend work... ?