Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Went to Ireland last week end

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Anthony Bennett

Went to Ireland last week end

Post by Anthony Bennett »

I went to Ireland last week end for a look around Dublin and Waterford.
The crystal Glass Company wasn't doing any tours but the showroom was open so I took the camera.
Whilst there I also met up with MAster Engraver Sean Egan and we had a good chat about copper wheel engraving.
Mr Egan did the Firemans tribute after 9/11 and has been invited back there next year as the 9/11 people want more work done.

I provide a link to where the pictures I took are posted, they consist of Glass Gilding, Mirrors, Signs and Crystal. All are around 2mb in size.

I think all of the pictures are inspirational but then that's just me, if it is something that interests you then please take a look.
If not, then thanks for reading this far.

Obviously there is a large amount of photos so I will be posting links on this thread as and when I upload them, starting with the first two.
I hope they are something you enjoy.
http://www.worldofglasscraft.com/showth ... 24#post724

Regards
Tony
Anthony Bennett

Re: Went to Ireland last week end

Here are the next five in the series, this time reverse glass mirrors
Small pics are shown with links to larger ones for theose interested.
http://www.worldofglasscraft.com/showth ... 27#post727
Anthony Bennett

So after looking at glass gilded and faux stuff in Dublin we moved south to Waterford to search out more inspirational items.
http://www.worldofglasscraft.com/showth ... -Waterford
Anthony Bennett

Thanks to the holidays I managed to get some of the photos I took of the carved glass at Waterford Crystal showrooms together.
I have quite a few more but these might interest someone.
Enjoy

http://www.worldofglasscraft.com/showth ... -Showrooms
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

Hi Anthony,

Just wanted to let you know I've enjoyed looking through the photos. thanks for posting.

I had previously looked through them, but this time I realized one of the Jameson mirrors is almost identical (will have to compare side by side) to a mirror in Sydney that one of my clients brought out for his Irish-themed pub. I took a close look at it when he showed me and was slightly disappointed at the craftsmanship. It's not a bad mirror, but there was evidence of short-cuts and a lack of attention to detail. It conveyed the feeling of a production mentality, not an artwork.

I know I'm probably being overly critical, but I felt that for the money he paid, he should have had something with more integrity. I got the job of doing all the window signs, so I didn't miss out...but I certainly felt I would have given him a better mirror.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Yes indeed Anthony,
Sometimes I forget to comment on a post which contains appreciated information and photo's.
Have you ever seen the work of Lesley Pike?

She is really into engraving also and has some interesting information on het site.

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Anthony Bennett

Thanks Guys.
@Bruce, yes I love the mirrors, always have. If the pub had not been so busy I could have photographed all of them.
@erik, yes I know lesley, very talented glass artist. I think she's currently in New Zealand on a long holiday.
I have a few more photos from the Crystal Gallery, with lot's of insight into which I promise to post when I can find the time.