Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Zinc Nitrate in the making of whiter Mirrors

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Ismael Alvarado

Zinc Nitrate in the making of whiter Mirrors

Post by Ismael Alvarado »

some Spray on chrome systems use zinc nitrate(MSDS) in their formula, I would guess its to make the front surface mirrors they are calling chrome a whiter toner? :?

is this even possible?
Patrick Mackle

Re: Zinc Nitrate in the making of whiter Mirrors

Post by Patrick Mackle »

My guess is that it makes the silver layer harder and maybe deposit a little heavier. Could be they add the zinc to cut the silver content and stretch their dollars. But that's just a guess.
Pat
Ismael Alvarado

Patrick Mackle wrote:My guess is that it makes the silver layer harder and maybe deposit a little heavier. Could be they add the zinc to cut the silver content and stretch their dollars. But that's just a guess.
Pat
Could a Single Displacement Reaction be happening? is there a way to deposit zinc in a silver like manner?
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

There must be, like aluminium, gold silver and probably any other metal. But I do not know how.
And i think for your quest it is not interesting, since the metall is not noble enough and would deteriate to quickly before you would be able to protect it.
Maybe that is why aluminium is so popular nowadays, the surface oxidation layer is closing the aluminium against further oxidation. So the metal on the glass side will stay brilliant for ever (if not scrathed).
I would just think the Zink is too unnoble and since you already had problems with clearcoating the more noble silver....

I do not know...
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Ismael Alvarado

erikwinkler wrote:There must be, like aluminium, gold silver and probably any other metal. But I do not know how.
And i think for your quest it is not interesting, since the metall is not noble enough and would deteriate to quickly before you would be able to protect it.
Maybe that is why aluminium is so popular nowadays, the surface oxidation layer is closing the aluminium against further oxidation. So the metal on the glass side will stay brilliant for ever (if not scrathed).
I would just think the Zink is too unnoble and since you already had problems with clearcoating the more noble silver....

I do not know...
its aluminum also capable of being electroless plated?...

I know many metals can be electroless palted but can they be sprayed? the nice people at angel gilding are not yet able to spray copper or gold in their electroless forumulas..maybe in the future
mgking

Post by mgking »

From the chemist: The chemical properties of zinc make it very unlikely that it will be displaced from solution to form elemental zinc which would be shiny if produced at the right rate. The same is true of aluminum which is why both of these metals are used to protect other metals like iron. Adding zinc salts (like the nitrate) to mirroring solutions is commonly used to control how the mirroring process works including the speed at which the metal particles deposit but no metallic zinc is involved.

Silver metal is actually very pale yellow and to make it look like chrome you have to tint the clearcoat with a blue or violet tint. This is not necessary when doing second surface mirroring such as eglomise.