Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Possible Rawson and Evans?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Bob Hovanec

Possible Rawson and Evans?

Post by Bob Hovanec »

A guy from the local hardware brought over a piece of glass today that looks like it could be a Rawson and Evans piece. I looked through a catalog that I had around and I couldn't find anything exact, but it looked similar to what I have seen of their work. Here is a picture of the piece...

Bob Hovanec
Robare M. Novou

Re: Possible Rawson and Evans?

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Hey Bob, how thick is the glass? White Acid Etched or Sandblasted?

It looks like it could be an R&E, some of the elements in the design are in some of the Sash and Door Hardware Catalogs I have, especially that Chicago concern of John A. Gauger & Co. and their Catalog of 1898. You might have a copy, as I got my mine from Jeff Lang.

R&E supplied a lot of these types of Lights (windows for walls and doors) to many sash and door makers in Chicago and the Midwest.

RMN
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Nice piece. Hard to tell who originated these types of theme windows. I have seen a few in my career. I have noticed they generally have a center framed design motif of a theme like a harvest or a hunt that draws your attention like a story. Then the outer boarder is sometimes a random design that fills the background. I believe this device of the random background allowed for the stock sized design to be cut down in dimension to fit in a door or window. A sort of one-size-fits-all product that still kept a main focus theme.
They are mostly sand blasted, and I believe they were mass produced. Many have slight "pecks" of sand blasting in the clear areas were the resist was thin enough to let some grit strike the glass. I think some were screen printed with resist made of reduced india gum rubber or thinned animal glue. Some may have been made using a crude photo based resist like the one mention in the R&E catalog.
Back in 1981 I received a phone call from a company back east that was selling a large cash of paper art drawings for doing these photo etchings. Some where for shower doors with swans. They only wanted to sell the whole collection as one, and I did not see them as a good investment back then.
Pat
Jeff Lang

Post by Jeff Lang »

Bob,
Great piece of glass, thanks for showing.
Rob has a good idea with the Gauger catalog, I'll have a look tomorrow.
Who ever made this piece did a remarkable job.
Jeff
Jeff Lang
Olde Lang Signs
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
412-732-9999
Bob Hovanec

Post by Bob Hovanec »

Robare, the glass is 1/8" thick, sandblasted, actual size 20" x 24"
Bob Hovanec