Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Nice Website, With digital downloads

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Travis Stanley

Nice Website, With digital downloads

Post by Travis Stanley »

Just wanted to share a website I ran across that has digital downloads. A lot of vintage art in many styles. www.periodpaper.com
erik winkler

Re: Nice Website, With digital downloads

Post by erik winkler »

Hello Travis,

Do you know the person who owns this webiste?
Cutting up books and paintings has been done for centuries, because a book with 100 pages can be sold for 100 dollars, but selling the 100 pages seperatly for 1,5 dollar a piece makes a 50% profit. In this way miljions of books have been broken up and lost for ever. It is our cultural history. The one from you and me. And if you do not feel that this is important, maybe it would be for your childeren or grandchilderen....
I think it is sickening! And this website should be banned.
Therefore I want to state: if you need a high resolution of an image from that website:
1. zoom in, first left top corner.
2. press print screen on keyboard.
3. new layer in photoshop
4. paste in photoshop
5. merge layers
6. save as left top corner.
7. do the same for the other parts of the image.
8. do a photoshop automatic photomerge.
Voila

Sorry Mike, but that site can not have my respect.
But ofcourse this is just my opninion....
If you do not agree, you can ofcourse delete my post.

Here is one, I had to resize it from 3 mb to 700x700px max:
Wolverine forum.jpg
Wolverine forum.jpg (101.35 KiB) Viewed 4903 times

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Travis Stanley

Post by Travis Stanley »

Hello Eric, First of all I do not know who owns the website. I found it while looking around e-bay for Show cards. I always enjoy spending time looking at vintage advertisments, where ever the source may be. I found some templates on there and decided to go to their website. I saw alot of nice things on there that I enjoyed viewing, and just as I enjoying viewing nice things on here, I thought I'd share. There's nothing wrong with wanting to share art for people to find inspiration. I do agree with you that destroying art to make a 50% profit is wrong. And that was never my intent for placing this link. I can appreciate your concern for preserving our past, Although It's very noble of you. I would not shoot the messenger for posting the link. That would never solve your problem. I am sure the link has a contact within their website where you can show your dismay. I would be the first to stand beside you in your efforts. I am aware of the process of copying and resizing an image and I thank you for that. If You decide to find out that the website is definitly destroying these prints and advertisments please feel free to contact me. And If that be the case, I will not shoot the messanger. I will fight my battle at the source. Thanks
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Travis,

Sorry if my words were not very clear.
Ofcourse I do not shoot the messenger, I thank you for posting this site with all its beautifull illustrations.
I allready looked at the owners of the website, do not know them and in the "about us" it seemed they were very proud of their site (again it looks good). But cutting up books, paintings or art is like you also said not something to be proud of.

To make my point in an other way:
I look at this as when you are going to an exotic island and there is a local standing there with a small baby monkey on his shoulder and you can make pictures with the baby monkey for a few dollars. Who can resist this adorable creature and who does not want to hold him for just a minute. But that monkey will get older and that monkey will not be a adorable and profitable for the photodealer anymore. More then often the older monkey will be disposed in an horible way and a new baby monkey will be stolen from his or her mother.
When I was young my mother explained this to me and we looked angry at the photodealer and passed by neglecting him and tried to tell the other tourists not to make the photo with the monkey so that the circle will be broken.
In this case I will not buy the illustrations.
So in fact the tourists and we the buyers are the only source I can really adress to for stopping this crime.

Thanks Travis for posting this link.

Erik
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Travis Stanley

Post by Travis Stanley »

Point well taken Eric, I can appreciate your view on the matter, I don't disagree with you there. Where I do disagree is the fact that I post the link for everyone to enjoy. And then you decide to tell me that you don't approve of it, And will not purchase from it. Thats fine. But then to insult me by telling me how to copy off their sight is wrong on you. That is there means of support. And that my friend is a double edge sword. I do not look to these fourms to recalibrate my moral compass. Simply to share in Ideas of inspiration. Thank You.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Nothing wrong with an old Monkey Erik some Monkey's age really well....
Dave
Billie DeBekker

Post by Billie DeBekker »

Most of those Prints are already available on CD from Dover Publications. I have about 100 Dover Books and they are great for reference and Ideas. I like Erik was a little Disturbed when I saw Pages from the Strongs Book of Design. Hopefully he cut up the reprint for those scans as I would kill anyone that came in cut up my first edition. (But that book is also available in .pdf now for free)

(No monkeys or books were harmed in the making of this post.)
I Do agree with your statement though we have to deal with that all the time here with people feeding the deer in our parks then complain when they are attacked
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Travis i reread the first post i wrote and can see why you thought it was adressed to you.
This was not my intention. In my enthusiasm of explaning my frustration i did not write it correctly.
Still i feel that bussinesses that tear up books must not be supported.
I want the monkey grow old in the arms of his/her mother.

Erik the reactionair idealist?...
Will stay more on the easy side, next time.

Cheers
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Travis Stanley

Post by Travis Stanley »

No Problem Erik, Keep up the Good Fight.