Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Article in national sign magazine about our firm

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

erik winkler

Article in national sign magazine about our firm

Post by erik winkler »

A bit selfpromotion or just proud to share this with you.
This december there is an article about our firm in a Dutch national sign magazine.
I have posted it on a news bulletin on our website:
News item on our website

Here is the article for further reading:
Article

If you are interested in what they wrote about me, but can not translate the Dutch language here a link for google translation:
Google translate

Maybe, just maybe, it will be a start for the Dutch to learn about goldleaf signage again.

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Billie DeBekker

Re: Article in national sign magazine about our firm

Post by Billie DeBekker »

Congratulations. Very nice article. Now i see where you get all the experimental ideas from being a Chemistry Geek.
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

great to see and read.

I would be proud of an article like that too.

Yes, i translated all the text in sections and read it all....The translation is not perfect, but it conveys the meaning very well. I didn't know you had those family connections in your business. Did I read that correctly?...four generations in the trade or similar trade tradition? That's not just a dynasty...that's an empire...hahaha
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Thank you William and Bruce.
Yes it is a sort of bizare, when I started my interest in goldleaf a few years ago my mum looked at my with a questioning face:
"Erik don't you remember your dad working with goldleaf when you were young?".
I did not remember, but somewhere until I was 5 years old, my dad was goldleafing old dutch ornaments like iron casted and bronze lightfixes and the sort. It seemed the whole house was full of these ornaments during those assignments.

My dad told me how he used to lay goldleaf on shopfronts by using 'staniol' some kind of tin-mask.
And he gave me the old gold removal brushes he got from his dad that got it from his granddad.
I remember those brushes, because I wanted to play with them when I was a kid, because they were so soft; and got a smack on the head for handeling them not with care.

Nice memories and maybe a bit of wishfull thinking.
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Hi Erik,

Interesting web site, I looked over the site the last time you had posted your site on the forum, but it’s been a while.

Folowing the link to the news article, a PDF of the article came that was uneditable, and was unable to select the text to translate. Is there another way to get the article in text form?

After browsing the site, I have a few questions:

In looking through the site thoroughly, especially under glass work, and 'American Boad' I see work by David McDonald, John Studden, Raymond Chapman, Mark Yearwood, and Robert Frese to name a few. Because of the format of how photos appear, I don't see any credit given to the artists that actually designed and executed the work displayed.

Is there a section within the site where credits are listed? When you post works by other artists, other than work of your own, do you get permission to include their works when intermixed with yours? As it stands, there appears to be no distinction of work by yourself and and work done by others. If a customer were to view your site, the presumption would be that all of the work displayed was produced by you.

I've searched for a credit section, but due to translation, I may not have been as thorough. If you would kindly point me to the credit section, I’d appreciate it.

Do you, or anyone else know of a translation site without the 300 character limit? While iGoogle is a great tool, the character limit is time consuming translating large bodies of text. How was Bruce able to translate the news article, is there another section that contains the text in order to translate?

Thanks!

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

The website is still under construction.
And is a showcase of work that I have admired and collected.
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

Danny, I simply cut and pasted from the pdf into google translator, one section at a time...maybe a total of 6-8 cut/paste to read it all.

Mine opened up the file separately into adobe acrobat (not within a browser window). This may be the difference.

Erik, I also have to agree with Danny that work by other artists should be appropriately credited. I also noticed my own work on your site. While I can appreciate that you are simply showing a range of examples of the art, if there is no explanation of who or where the work came from, it is incomplete.
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Hi Bruce,

it's amazing what takes place on the internet from one day to the next. After reading your reply, I went back to the article and it did open in acrobat as before. Problem was, for some reason the maginifier was selected, and I didn't see the type selection tool. I did today. Three days ago, there was a 300 character limit, today I read the whole article in 3-4 sections. Google must have increased the character limit recently.

I thought I'd seen your work in the link at the top, but wasn't positive. It's generally easy to spot the work of others simply by their unique style, and your's is no exception. It would be nice to see your Hong Kong Disney work some day, but can understand their concern of keeping it's distribution contained.

Hope you're doing well. Though the worst flooding seems to be South of you, is your area being affected to a similar degree? 200,000 people displaced, that's huge! Wishing you all the best!

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com