Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

FaceBook?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

FaceBook?

Post by Mike Jackson »

A couple of people have asked me about joining Facebook in the last couple of weeks. Darla is on it ALL THE TIME. Some people call it FaceCrack once they get addicted. So far, I haven't been too motivated to get into it. But, it is worth asking how many people here have a Facebook account? Are you hooked, a casual user, or a recovering addict?

Keeping up with this forum and a couple of photography forums seems enough for me.

I've had a few people tell me they use it to help promote their businesses, but I'd like them to explain how they do it.

I know a few photographers who post videos of fighting moose, migrating elk, or running horses (just examples) on YouTube. They embed their web address into the videos and also with the video with comments about seeing still photos at their regular site. I can see how that might expose a site to a lot of new visitors and also add link counts for Google Searches.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
bob gamache

Re: FaceBook?

Post by bob gamache »

I have a facebook page for my glass work Mike. Have Darla look my name up if you want to see my page. I use it for networking. Its no big deal. You can set up a page for a business and control who sees what.
It can get out of hand if you if you let it!!! I think all in all its a good thing. If you decide its not for you, you can always disable the account, no harm done.
Bob Gamache
Travis Stanley

Post by Travis Stanley »

Hey Mike, I have a Facebook page,hardly ever use it though. It's just a narsistist convention where you can read about peoples random thoughts and psyco babblings. Although It can be a good source to sell your services. Chuck Davis has a page there where he informs people of new fonts. And is an excellent way to reach a lot of people that may not be aware of your website. Other than that I can find no educational value in reading what someone is eating or doing EVERY DAY. lol
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Family, friends, family's friends, friend's families, peers, peers' families, peers' friends....... Facebook is like throwing your life into a high speed fan and having to sort through the snippets that are blown back to you to figure out which you own... it's a runaway train.....I can't imagine it working well as a commercial venture although I get asked to like a lot of people's pages, a lot of which I actually hide. But then my family has called me a luddite more than once....well at least the geeks have. :lol:
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Noah Moore

Post by Noah Moore »

i just sent a friend request for bob gamanche. now where i couldnt stretch my arms far enough, i can now. its good.
like he said, if it gets out of hand, delete it.
THE SKYS THE LIMIT
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

My main purpose to be on facebook is to see photos etc of grandkids. The company site has not brought us a bit of business and the only interest has been from friends who already know about us so I have not updated it.

With the usual postings I see, it is a royal waste of time especially the games.
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Often times, I look at Facebook and see nothing worth liking.......

I need to get a bumper sticker, "I Lost my Wife to Social Networking".

For me, I like the Handlettering Forum, and the people who post here.

That's enough for me.

I don't care what Eddie Avalos had for breakfast, and that it gave him gas.

..I also wanna keep as many of those skeletons in the closet as I can.
Mark Summers

Post by Mark Summers »

From late night Craig Ferguson:
"the two biggest websites right now are Wikipedia, where you go to
learn about things you care about, and Facebook, where you go to learn about people you stopped caring about years ago."

Mark
Noah Moore

Post by Noah Moore »

Mark Summers wrote:From late night Craig Ferguson:
"the two biggest websites right now are Wikipedia, where you go to
learn about things you care about, and Facebook, where you go to learn about people you stopped caring about years ago."

Mark
if this was facebook, id hit the "like" button.
THE SKYS THE LIMIT