Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Lincoln Highway mural number 12 . . . North Aurora, IL

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jay Allen

Lincoln Highway mural number 12 . . . North Aurora, IL

Post by Jay Allen »

I'm a little behind in this . . . and the project slowed. So I'll post a few on a slow day . . .

Telling the story of Exposition Park outside of Aurora, IL (now North Aurora). As the painted copy of an early original advertisement say, Exposition Park was 'the ideal amusement park'. As the nation began to travel more by car, entertainment like this flourished . . . for a while!!

This was never one of my favorites as there was very little resource material since the Park no longer exists - and the fact that I had to design it so it was split in two parts. Very difficult . . . So we had little to work with. This was my best shot . . . but you know . . . it looked better once it was installed. More of a testament to Bill's painting skills!!

Hope you like it . . .

http://s442.photobucket.com/albums/qq14 ... =slideshow

As always, I designed this - Joey Marshall engineered it - and Bill Hueg did the masterful job of painting it.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Re: Lincoln Highway mural number 12 . . . North Aurora, IL

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Jay,
Thanks for taking the time to post the slide show here for all to see. Nice to see you are staying busy and keeping a few other people busy. All the projects are beautiful, as always.

Please keep posting them as you get them completed.

A few months ago, I started buying a lot of books on the Lincoln Highway. Every chance I get, I try to find the remnants that run through the southern part of Wyoming and down into Salt Lake City. Hopefully, sometime this spring, I can drive across Utah and into Nevada on what is left of the Lincoln Highway. There should be a fair amount of old Ghost Signs along the way.

Take care,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Jay Allen

Re: Lincoln Highway mural number 12 . . . North Aurora, IL

Post by Jay Allen »

Thanks, Mike . . . The road has quite a history - and I know far too much of it now!! Good to have steady work, though.

I saw your Teton Images at Blurb site . . . Very cool work you're doing with Photoshop. I use that a bunch for the LH murals - as you might expect. It was YOUR tutorial on keystoning that allows those final mural shots to not look so distorted - so thanks for writing that article. My fave in the Teton images was the aspens in the fall shot in the woods . . . very contrasting and eye-catching. Nicely done.

It'll be a bit before I add more LH step-by-step's here . . . we've got two to paint and then nothing until they toss more design fees my way . . . Grants, government, too small of a credit line for the project . . . boy, do I have stories . . .