Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Lincoln Highway mural number 15 . . . Geneva, IL

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jay Allen

Lincoln Highway mural number 15 . . . Geneva, IL

Post by Jay Allen »

Things changed beginning with this mural.

No longer are we working with Bill Hueg on the murals. He started this mural (I'm not even sure what the story was here!!) but wasn't able to finish due to previous commitments. The pay schedule for the mural project got stalled due to project management and finance issues (now getting on track again) so he had to go do other commissions.

So this is the last of the Allen-Hueg-Marshall series of murals (he may end up doing a few more) - and now myself and Joe Marshall are painting them. Apparently, much to my own amazement, I can paint in a pictorial style . . . probably explainable by 'osmosis' working alongside Bill Hueg. He's a great teacher . . .

So I painted the motorcycle cop and Joe did the background. Bill got the sky, part of the first building and the front wheel of the motorcycle . . . then Joey and I painted our first pictorial mural. Sort of like being thrown in the lake to learn how to swim . . . DO . . . or die.

I think we barely 'made it to shore' - but the Ashton mural was a much better effort. That's coming next . . .

Hope you like it . . .

http://s442.photobucket.com/albums/qq14 ... =slideshow
Mark Summers

Re: Lincoln Highway mural number 15 . . . Geneva, IL

Post by Mark Summers »

For what it's worth Jay, you did a very commendable job. No way for anybody to
compare themselves to a Bill Hueg, I do believe he is at the top of the food chain.
And you're no slouch. Maybe not as fast a Bill but take a bow.
Thanks for sharing your project with us. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the time
lapse pictorial.

Mark
Jay Allen

Post by Jay Allen »

Thank you, Mark. More of a testament to Bill than to my budding skills as a pictorial painter!! Monochromatic color scheme makes it easier also . . . Painting values . . .
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

....values..................what a great lesson Jay!..........it really is all about the light and dark..........in pictorials as in life......if it works in black and white, you really don't need colors...........again, thanks for posting
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com