Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Do we still call ourselves signmakers?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Martin Tippett

Do we still call ourselves signmakers?

Post by Martin Tippett »

Do we still call ourselves signmakers? I know that vinyl is here to stay, but for us guys who like to just do the hand lettering what else can we call it? I'm getting a little tired of being asked to design and price work (that has to be done by others because I don't want or need the expence of all the equipment and stock needed, to offer something I don't want to do) just to end up too expensive and not get the job anyway! Is there another name that we could use to weed out the customers we really want?
vance galliher

Re: Do we still call ourselves signmakers?

Post by vance galliher »

Martin, I introduce myself to clients as a sign artist.....because that's how I approach sign making.....and other than the kind of work I do, giving myself that distinction seems to create a separation between me and other signmakers in my area.
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

I used to be a "Sign Painter"...because I "Painted" Signs.

Now I am a "Sign Maker"...because I "Construct" Signs.

Not much Hand Lettering gets done up in my neck of the woods anymore.
Most Signs around here are Constructed from Wood, Metal, Plastic, and a lot of Vinyl.

RMN
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

Good question, Martin.

I prefer Sign artist, also. I have been known to use Lettering Artist.

This topic brings to mind a quote I came across while reading a few days ago.
The quote is by Louis Mumford, in 1950 he wrote:
"We are becoming technological supermen and esthetic idiots."

I prefer not to follow that philosophy.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

I guess I have been doing the same old thing long enuf that I never (or extremely rarely) get called for anything else and am overall humble in my approach...after all I'm still just being a "Sign painter" My web page (gonna get redone soon) doesn't have an e-mail contact so I encourage the phone call. I've sort of figgered that if they won't take the time for that they're not my client. When they get there the webpage has my portfolio (not so up-to-date) and my older portfolio with conversation is at the shop. The shop visit is pretty important in my estimation and ppl generally like coming to see whats going on in the real world......as in no computers and CNC equipment buzzing about. I make sure by this point they have an idea of what costs what with no messing around...and a "lets get to the fun" atittude...which is pretty much how I approach anything new!!
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

...........hahaaaaaaaa , Doug, that is exactly how I approach all my work...if it's not fun...I have not interest.... and don't take the work. And hopefully with the selected work I make a living. Someday I may figure out how to make as much money as I do having fun.
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

I guess I'm in a similar boat as Doug......without his great web site.

I really have just always billed myself (my business) as a carver. That IS all I do.

I just carve holes (all different kinds) in boards and then............... sell the hole! :D

Joe

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Martin Tippett

Post by Martin Tippett »

Hi Guys, Thanks for all your replies. I like the sign artist aproach as it does give the definition of the art side of the job. I have been aware for some time now that we are no longer cost effective for the general sign market and therefore not looking for that kind of work. I have to make some samples of the kind of work I want do do and get it in front of people who can afford it.
I made a price list up the other day of standard sized panels in frames and out, it took a bit of time on the exel spreadsheet but ended up with a 3 tier pricing system for simple, nice and custom projects from 300x300mm to 2440x1220mm. My thinking was to let the potential customer know how much the end job would be to confirm the order and get a deposit, then get down to sorting out the design until they are happy, the draw back with this is the trust issue that I'm going to come up with the goods but I'd rather get rid of the customers that won't pay before I draw up their design.
Mark Summers

Post by Mark Summers »

I'm thinking the question should be "Do we still call ourselves Signpainters". All the
technology has changed the question. While I'm sure we all have a good deal of
the electronic stuff that makes our job easier we can't lose sight of the drive
that brought us here in the first place. Many of us started as 'Signpainters'.
While the signpainting doesn't take the prominence that it did before all the
magic electronic gadgets showed up, it still is what separates us from the vinyl slappers.
I'm pretty engaged with the sign biz because I'm learning new paint techniques
and challenging myself at the fine arts. Everybody has lulls in their devotion but
I think if you continue to push yourself you will keep yourself energized most of the
time. My 2 cents.
** I vote 'Sign Artist'

Mark
oatis

Post by oatis »

Call me whatever you want: just don't call me late for supper!