Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Are yellow page ads really necessary?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mark Summers

Are yellow page ads really necessary?

Post by Mark Summers »

Here's the thing, yellow page ads are pretty expensive and I am wondering with
a properly google'ized web site and all the cell phones that do the web are yellow
pages really relevant anymore? There is a downward trend in the yellow page
ads I think I hear. How many out there have abondoned the yellow page ad idea?
Do you know others that have? Google has a presence that could supplant I'm
thinking.

Mark
Roderick Treece

Re: Are yellow page ads really necessary?

Post by Roderick Treece »

Mark,
Had one years ago and didn't like it. Make a well built site and do alot of shearch engine optimizing . and you be getting work. As long as your selling something that people are looking on line for.
Billie DeBekker

Post by Billie DeBekker »

I too, Dumped Yellow Pages about 4 Years Ago. Was a Complete waste of money. For 3 years There was absolutely Nothing in the Phone book. This year due to a few clients request that they would at least like to find my number in the book. (Computer Illiterates) We went with a line ad with website and phone only. $25 a Month..
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

I started gradually reduced my yellow pages advertising spend about 15 years ago when I started to specialize in gold leaf work, and reduce my regular sign work. It was always an expensive place and never really seemed to be worth it. At least with a speciality, you could be more focused and not pay as much.

About 10-12 years ago, I had pretty well dropped the print advertising, but I paid extra to try their online ads. It was expensive and a complete waste of money. No a single response.

I had one last go at the regular yellow pages with a small ad a couple of years later, but again it was dead. Maybe a handful of phone calls that amounted to nothing.

I've had a website since the mid 90's and along with referrals and repeat clients, that's all I use now.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

I have been wondering the same thing. I actually do use the yellow pages but I also haven't got a computer at work. Having a business line entitles me to a listing in the yellow pages and think for next year that might be sufficient. Also I'll make a point of asking first time clients how they found me before deciding.