Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

abalone train

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Bernhardt

abalone train

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Pete Payne forwarded this link to me and said "please tell this isn't the one that went unsold at a $10,000 reserve on ebay last year'

http://www.antiquetrader.com/article/ra ... ks_records
BruceJackson

Re: abalone train

Post by BruceJackson »

there was another post a few days ago pointing to this sign.

In one way, I'm glad signs are starting to realize some decent value, but I also feel that this one is over-priced and can't be regarded as a typical example of sign collectibility.

It's just not that outstanding compared to some other works. I assume the buyer had some other special reason or connection with the work to pay that much for it. I think the price reflects more than it's artistic and technical merits.
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

Rarity seems to boost the price someone will pay beyond any realistic intrinsic value.
oatis

Post by oatis »

COOL! Wish there was a better picture, and some scale. It almost looks like the pearl is burning through some varnish glazes (as you sometimes see on the Western Sandblast pieces) but that is probably not the case.

My guess is that at that price the buyer is the railroad itself--and this is a museum acquisition--or some seriously committed ( and well-heeled) railroadiana buff, who sleeps in train P.J.'s and an engineers cap.

I would've been willing to knock him one out for a hundred grand. Sigh.

Oatis
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

You mean like these?

This is the same one, as you can see the area where the paint is missing from the tree and the backing board is showing through.
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

Thanks for the better pics!