Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Paragon Janus Ovation Kiln

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Kelly Thorson

Paragon Janus Ovation Kiln

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I've been kicking around the decision to buy a kiln for a long time now and I think I am ready to make the leap. I'm looking at the Paragon Janus Ovation as I would like the option to fire both glass and pottery tile. Has anyone any experience with this model? Any suggestions, warnings or tips before I make the plunge?
Thanks....
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
DAVE SMITH

Re: Paragon Janus Ovation Kiln

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Go for it Kelly, not sure on your model but buying a kiln is the best move for you. You will have some creative hours ahead of you with this. Good luck.
Dave
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Thanks Dave, will you do me a favour and go here and tell me what you think of the suitability of this? I have only ever seen the kilns used in Kamenicky Senov and they are way different.
I want to be able to fire painted glass, fuse and slump. I'm also somewhat interested in casting, although I'm not sure how often I'll do that.
Is there any problems with contamination if you are firing between pottery and glass. (I know they can't be fired together due to temp differences)
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hi Kelly. I don't know much about these kind of kilns, I prefere a shelf design like this kiln http://www.kilncare.co.uk/kilns_glass_f ... range.html

I bought mine from these guy's It is the one in the centre of this image. This is a British Company but I know that Noel at Classic Signs has recently bought a kiln for the same type of work that you have in mind,I would suggest contacting Classic . Noel jr would be the man to ask about kiln choices. I they got there kiln in Portland ,Oregon from Bullseye.

Dave