Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

The Tottenham Pub, London

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

The Tottenham Pub, London

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I was up in London with my daughter a few weeks back visiting University's for her to go to next year. Later that day we took a tube to central London, she went off clothes shopping and I took a look round some old pubs .I had been to this pub before with Doug Bernhardt but had not had the chance to get any close up shots of the beautiful mirror inside this bar. Well I finally got some of the Mirror in the pub called The Tottenham on Oxford Street. The mirror was made by a company called Jones and Firmin glass decorators. 1900. Other glass works will be added over the weekend to my site.

I have placed some images here for you to see but as there are so many please take a look at them here. http://davidadriansmith.com/victorians/

Dave.

Dave
grape-details2.jpg
grape-details2.jpg (140.56 KiB) Viewed 9874 times
Pineapple-detail2.jpg
Pineapple-detail2.jpg (146.93 KiB) Viewed 9895 times
Attachments
grape-painting-and-bowl-detail700.jpg
grape-painting-and-bowl-detail700.jpg (154.08 KiB) Viewed 9908 times
Dan Seese

Re: The Tottenham Pub, London

Post by Dan Seese »

This is really stunning, Dave.
Is this reverse-painted on the glass?
I've done some reverse pictorial work and it's pretty difficult so I'm curious if this is a painting adhered to the back of the glass or if it's painted on the glass. Either way, it's beautiful and as usual, I appreciate the stuff you share with us.
Thanks mate!
Dan
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1340 - 1400)

http://DanSeeseStudios.com
http://www.DanSeeseStudios.com/blog/
http://www.facebook.com/DanSeeseStudios
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hello Dan.
Yes this is all hand painted in reverse , I would say the gilding was done first and then the painting and finally the silvering, it's very nicely done.
Hope your doing well mate.
Dave
Mark Summers

Post by Mark Summers »

Good night Moses! How many could even paint that well painting from the front?
This really inspires me to push myself when I see work like this. Thanks for showing
us this nice work Dave.

Mark
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Thanks for sharing DAve. Very nice.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

No probs...... Thanks
Dave
oatis

Post by oatis »

I think this is the part where I say, "Blimey".

It is extremely interesting to look at the areas where thin glazes have burned away and revealed the less-finished modeling behind: one of the tomatoes shows that.

This guy took his time and studied his "forwards" reference art carefully. He likely painted that, too. He never let his values or hues get out of balance, and there's not a throwaway stroke anywhere. Such volume!

This is so tasty it reminds me that I haven't been eating enough fruit...
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Here's a photo of it overall. There's one up in "Masterpieces" section but it's worth adding a couple more as it's an amazing piece.
Attachments
2e-tottenham glass detail2.jpg
2e-tottenham glass detail2.jpg (236.94 KiB) Viewed 9443 times
2e-tottenham glass 1.jpg
2e-tottenham glass 1.jpg (233.82 KiB) Viewed 9450 times
Pat Welter

Post by Pat Welter »

Dave & Doug these are fantastic, never mind the surounding mill work to say the least...Just simply awesome...
Creativity is allowing ones self to make mistakes. Talent is knowing which ones to keep.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi Pat....I think it's the whole thing that makes it so amazing. The truth is also....over there this is just one of so many that are as beautiful in other ways although The Tottenham seems to be unique.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

When you come over Doug we must visit The Westminster behind St. Pauls Cathedral and this one that I have attached to the website .3 pictures of a glass advertising mirror that I have never seen before made by R Morris and Son.http://davidadriansmith.com/victorians/

Dave
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Davey Boy. I've seen old black and white photos of that same glass and just never knew where it was. We'll be going there for sure in a couple weeks huh?
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Dougy Boy. Make a note of this address me old china. Pub is called... Inn 1888 .21a Devonshire Street, Marleybone, London w1g 6pb. we will have a Speckled hen there or two.
Dave
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Well now. I've been all over that area and have never seen this place. It doesn't help that there are a few thousand other distractions/attractions in the same area....sheesh!!
Pat Welter

Post by Pat Welter »

I've always been amazed at how the entire surrounding work and complement each other, like the ceiling and mill work in the pics you two have posted, and now these last ones you have posted Dave. Tin ceiling and tile work Awesome...The last pic (and it may just be the angle of the pic) makes the Paddy and Polly panel look raised, pretty cool....Years ago Ruth and I were in and arround St. Pauls but never saw this, and even though I wasn't in the sign industry at the time, this would not have been one we would have forgotten had we seen it...Thanks for posting guys, this kind of thing makes me even want to work harder at getting the client to look at the whole and not just the sign, doing so creates an everlasting impression.
Creativity is allowing ones self to make mistakes. Talent is knowing which ones to keep.