Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

New member from Australia

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Judith McGinness

New member from Australia

Post by Judith McGinness »

Hi there, I'm Judith McGinness from Geelong, Australia. I've been a signwriter since 1970, and combine part-time self employment with full-time taking care of the family. Grandfather was a ticket writer and window dresser in the old days, which I didn't know when choosing the sign trade all by myself at age 15. I also found out recently that there was a signwriter on my grandmother's side. My eldest daughter has just graduated with a Bachelor of Design degree in Visual Arts, so the trade is being passed down again. I found this site today by chance, by looking for an overseas Letterheads meet for 2012. I hope the one in Belfast is still a goer, as I am going there next year anyway, I was born in Belfast and know the area well so it would be perfect.
I still get plenty of work doing hand lettering, (shopfronts, honour boards, fluoro windows etc.)and I'm proud to say that I still don't know how to operate a vinyl cutter. My husband invested in one about 10 years ago, so I leave all the "dirty work" to him when it is occasionally required. We're planning to attend a Letterheads meet in South Australia in September.
My main niche is calligraphy, and I've just started a little party plan locally, focussing on calligraphy and papercraft products. I'm currently designing a range of greeting cards featuring Australian wildflowers.
I look forward to interacting with other "real" signwriters on this forum. If anyone wants to have a squizz at my website, it's www.thesignlady.com.au
BruceJackson

Re: New member from Australia

Post by BruceJackson »

Hi Judith and Welcome,

I'm not that far away. I'm a couple of hours drive on the other side of Melbourne, in Warrandyte.

You'll find a lot of good info and talented people on this forum. It's a great resource, especially all the highly specific discussions on rare techniques and methods that can be found with a quick search of the archive.

Next time I'm coming to Geelong, I'll try to make some extra time and come and say hello.

Bruce Jackson
http://www.goldreverre.com
(03) 9844 2200
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hello Judith. Welcome! . I like the look of your work very much, you have a very nice style. keep us posted with your on going work.
Dave
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Hi Judith, Welcome. Thats some nice work on your web site.