Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Watch your printer ink expiration dates!

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Watch your printer ink expiration dates!

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi all,
I just got a notification on my printer that the ink was depleted in one of my cartridges. I put in a new one, only to get an error message stating the cartridge was past the expiration date. It won't let me use the cartridge at all. I checked my other back up cartridges and see I have four other $38 cartridges out of date. Worse yet, I don't have a second back up of this color, so I can't print at all until I order some new ones.

I never knew this was an issue. I always just took the random one off the shelf.

Maybe this information will help others!

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Anthony Bennett

Re: Watch your printer ink expiration dates!

Post by Anthony Bennett »

MIke, which printer is it please?
I have heard of this same problem on the Epson 1290S and then read about a reset CD for that model that rests the status thus removing the problem.
Maybe this is a route to consider.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

This is an HP Photosmart Pro B9180. It would be nice to think I can use these cartridges.

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Jeff Lang

Post by Jeff Lang »

I've had this happen on my HP also. I've since switched to a dell color laser & havent had the issue.
Jeff
Jeff Lang
Olde Lang Signs
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
412-732-9999
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Minor update:

One of my older cartridges expired in April of 2011. The printer was low on that color, so I put it in and it accepted it. Maybe there is a little grace period on them?

My order of 8 cartridges came in from B&H Photo and Video. Of the 8 one will expire one year from now, and the others have expiration dates going into 2013.

My other desktop printer is an Epson Artisan 725. It uses #99 regular capacity cartridges or #98 high capacity cartridges. They are identical in size, so we know they "could" put the extra ink in the other cartridges. Seems like a rip-off to me.

Espon's site says:
Epson Artisan 725 Ink - High Capacity Ink Cartridges
Get about 50% more prints than a Standard-capacity ink cartridge with Genuine Epson High-capacity Ink Cartridges for the Epson Artisan 725.
High capacity costs $15.99 for the colors and $10.44 for the standard capacity. Hmmmm.....50% of $10.44 is $5.22. Add those two together and it is essentially the same as a high capacity. 50% more for 50% more.

Back to the grind....
Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons