Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

One shot back into the can?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Hedley

One shot back into the can?

Post by Hedley »

When I finish a job I usually pour my paint back into the can but I remember someone advising against it. Any views?
HEDLEY

www.freewebs.com/hedleysflutebandart
www.freewebs.com/hmba2

Look the Part - Marching Band Art
BruceJackson

Re: One shot back into the can?

Post by BruceJackson »

I never return paint to the can. I used to do it years ago, and noticed I would often get "seeds" in the paint. Seeds, being little grainy bits of semi-dried paint. I don't get seeds these days.

The conventional wisdom is that is makes the paint go off much quicker. Short of a controlled comparative test, I can't say definitively that this occurs, but there is good logic behind the assertion.

The paint, while it is in use, takes on a lot of oxygen due to constant working and dipping of the brush into it. Especially if you've been writing for a while, and have added a little turps to keep the viscosity correct. It may still seem nicely liquid and unchanged, but it has already started to polymerize. If it is added back, the theory is, it speeds up the process of polymerizing the whole tin.