Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Art Nouveau Slumped Glass

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Art Nouveau Slumped Glass

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I Made these panels this past week for the interior of a private residents in Windsor UK. The designers wanted an Art Nouveau Silver melted look so I thought a slumped silvered glass panel section in a Art Nouveau style would look kind of different. I made a total of 15 panels to go as a friese inside a hallway. Not my kind of thing but still looked interesting and fun to create. Probably will look good once all fitted up and in with the rest of the interior.
Dave
700.jpg
700.jpg (104.4 KiB) Viewed 5965 times
detail-carved.jpg
detail-carved.jpg (97.91 KiB) Viewed 5947 times
carved-detail-Leaves6.jpg
carved-detail-Leaves6.jpg (89.84 KiB) Viewed 5922 times
glass-in-place6.jpg
glass-in-place6.jpg (138.63 KiB) Viewed 5911 times
4ml glass heated to 800dgrs over 14 hrs, the glass melted over the top to make the design.
some areas are wedged with fibre board under the carved moulding to give height to the finished glass.
Doug Bernhardt

Re: Art Nouveau Slumped Glass

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Looking forward to see the finished project, silvered and all fitted up. That kiln has become tooooooo much fun eh?
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Lovely Dave.
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

If the risks are little, the reward is little.

I, too, am looking forward to the finished product on this one.

crikey.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Al_Daines

Post by Al_Daines »

Wow, I like the art nouveau designs and also art deco. That piece looks very interesting, can't wait to see the finished article. Can I ask what the carved material is that you carved and used as the 'Mold'

Alan
Those that do not know but ask may be a fool for a day, but those who do not know and do not ask will remain fools for the rest of their lives.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks . Al the material is used for kiln carving and it is called thin fire and also known as fibre paper probably other names also. You carv your design and then it need to be hardened in a liquid almost like water consitency leave that to dry and then fire that on it's own to dry it out.
It came out really very nice ,probably not my taste but still very effective for decoration work or even just art on the wall. They wanted all 15 panels silvered and then they are fitted together in frames. I asked if they could send me some pictures once installed. It picked up every texture from the thin paper
700.jpg
700.jpg (177.22 KiB) Viewed 5762 times
700-art.jpg
700-art.jpg (220.67 KiB) Viewed 5713 times
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Dave,
Were you able to get multiple firings off of the thin fire mold material? Or did it fall apart any after the first piece of slumped glass was removed.
The mold hardener, also known as ridgidizer, is usually alumina silicate, or sodium silicate (aka: water glass).
I have actually found that sometimes you can get more firings out of a mold if you don't use a hardener. This is because the mold and glass expand at different rates,
and a softer unhardened mold is more forgiving. Also if you sift on dry separator (kiln wash) instead of adding water to brush it on, the loose grains allow the glass to move over the mold without
gripping it. Kind of like a loose lubricant.

Currently, I am gaining experience in the making of two part molds and casting glass in plaster molds. They can take several days to a week in the kiln to anneal and relieve all of the stress from heating.
Pat
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Pat I managed to get ony 8 firings and then had to re-carve the whole thing, real pain and time but hopefully will look good in the house with all the other excentric stuff the designer was talking about.. Good advice Pat thanks,one thing I did was sprinkle over the dry separator that kind of worked very well but did give a texture to the finish piece as you can see, would like to see those castings when your done if you get time.

Thanks Pat
Dave