Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Glass Gilding Freezer Window

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

bob gamache

Glass Gilding Freezer Window

Post by bob gamache »

Hi Guys
I have a glass gilding job for a butcher shop in Brooklyn coming up soon. The client is asking me to glass gild a logo on the inside of a meat freezer window. The window is approx.4ft x 3ft. The window is on the back wall of the freezer and is visible from the street.

I realize I'll have to have them clear out the meat and turn up the heat to do the job, but I'm mainly concerned with the temp and moisture in the freezer affecting the gild after they re-freeze.................. anybody have experience with this type of situation?? Thanks!
Bob Gamache
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Re: Glass Gilding Freezer Window

Post by Danny Baronian »

Hi Bob,

no experience with your situation, but I'd suggest getting a piece of tempered glass with the bug imprint, per city requirements, paint and gild as normal in the comfort of your shop.

Have a glazier install the glass either over, or in place of the existing exterior trim.

No need to shut the freezer down, with less concern for materials holding up within the freezer.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
bob gamache

Post by bob gamache »

Thanks for the imput Dan, much appreciated!
Bob Gamache
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

Once done, the temperature should not be an issue any more than windows subject to sub-zero temperatures from outside. The issue I would be concerned about would be condensation migrating under the gild and freezing it off like any high humidity situation such as a beauty shop. Waterproof sealing would be critical then in this situation. If their freezer has a good evaporative system, which it should to keep meat fresh, then there should be little condensation on the glass. I would look for that first to see what the condition of the glass is now. There may be some during heat up and cool down but during operations, frozen air should not condense on the glass.
bob gamache

Post by bob gamache »

Thank you Kent! I'll look for that.
Bob Gamache
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Kent has hit it right on......condensation is the issue. I had a job of mine go wrong as the window was subjected to direct sun in the morning moisture running down the inside the rest of the day. Tried with no luck to get the client to add an extra piece of glass and since has been ruined.
2e-gold leaf on glass 2 fullsize.jpg
2e-gold leaf on glass 2 fullsize.jpg (98.17 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
bob gamache

Post by bob gamache »

The condensation is the main concern.
Nice job by the way.
Bob Gamache
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

As I think about it, the other concern would be to have all of the size and paints/varnishes totally dry before cranking up the freezer.
bob gamache

Post by bob gamache »

Kent thanks for thinking this out! I'll keep that in mind. 2 days ago the outside pane of glass of the freezer was broken(window is a special kind of thermopane. ) Maybe ill gild the inside of the new glass before they install it. Hopefully that will take the failure issue out of the equation!
Bob Gamache