Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

antique shop window

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

bob gamache

antique shop window

Post by bob gamache »

Just wanted to share this with you guys. I gilded a nice little antique shop window in williamsburg brooklyn ny yesterday.
couldnt get a real good shot because of the lighting.
You cant really see it in the photo but its a two tone 23k gild on the 'flips bklyn' and a straight 23k burnish on the panel.
60" wide x about 27" high. Thank You Letterhead Fonts and Mr. Jackson!
Attachments
Flips.jpg
Flips.jpg (180.95 KiB) Viewed 12024 times
Bob Gamache
Mike Simpson

Re: antique shop window

Post by Mike Simpson »

That's really nice Bob. How did you do the layout? With a mask or hand drawn? Is that a blue background behind Antiques and What Not's? I'm new to all of this and trying to pick up what ever I can. Thanks for posting this. Looks really good.
Mike Simpson
picture framemaker and artist
http://www.mikesimpsonart.com
bob gamache

Post by bob gamache »

Hi Mike, Thanks!
I designed the job in illustrator, and made a paint mask. (I use yellow 'PASK' paint mask, it leaves no residue.)

The job was done 'Boston Style' on location in one 9 hour day.
(But if time and $ is abundant, I prefer to use a pounce and hand paint all the black.)

I cleaned the glass, applied the mask, painted in all the black, removed the mask, varnished in the centers, had a double cappicino then gilded, had a bite to eat, backed up, and varnished.

Theres no blue just back-up black. Must be reflections. The client requested black although you can use any color you choose.
Bob Gamache
Mike Simpson

Post by Mike Simpson »

Thanks Bob. I appreciate the step by step. I don't have the benefit of using a mask so everything I have attempted has been pounced. Excuse me if it is obvious and I missed it but I am assuming this was surface painted and gilded as opposed to the reverse glass process or no?

The dark on the panel looks blue in the photo on my monitor so that is why asked about that. Just reflection I guess.

I'm just blown away by the work you guys are showing in this forum. Surely something to aspire to if not a bit intimidating.

Thanks again.

Mike
Mike Simpson
bob gamache

Post by bob gamache »

Hi Mike
This job was glass gilded (not surface gilded) in reverse on the inside of the window.

Pounces are great to work from, they maintain that hand lettered ambience.
Paint masks will save you alot of time on the job if time is an issue.
If you dont have it already, you should get your hands on 'gold leaf techniques' fourth edition by Kent Smith.

You CAN do this work also. Just always give 110%... your absolute best. Do your homework. Experiment with different layouts and unusual fonts. Dont be afraid to customize fonts to your liking.
NEVER GIVE UP! & above all ......have fun!
Bob Gamache
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Nice job Bob. Thanks for sharing your technique and your work.
bob gamache

Post by bob gamache »

Thanks Anthony. I really appreciate the feedback!
Bob Gamache
Mike Simpson

Post by Mike Simpson »

Bob...I've got the book. I guess I just to reread (again) and follow the directions. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Mike
Mike Simpson
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

nice Job,
You're a brave man tackling a job that size in one day. At the least, I'd want to leave it overnight before before cleaning off the excess gold.

It's quite a lot of work to cram into 9 hours...i think you've been very efficient with your time. Must have had warm weather too. I find waiting for the gilding to dry is always a frustrating delay when you're trying to finish a job in one day.
bob gamache

Post by bob gamache »

Hey Bruce! Good to hear from you!
I would'nt call it brave.......I'd call it boarder line insane!!!!!!!!! :)
It seems like I always get involved with the 'needed it yesterday' type of client. NYC is like that most of the time unfortunately! You kinda get used to it.

I don't rush the job at all. I have everything planned out and ready to go when i get on location.
I've done quite a few 1 day jobs like this without a problem. Early start, late finish & No playin' around.

But anyway, I've never have a problem removing excess gold because I put 1shot hardener in the backup paint and use naptha instead of mineral spirits. It evaporates & dries faster. I remove the excess gold within an hour of backing up. I also carry a small battery powered fan in my kit to speed up drying times for the gold as well as for the paint. Seems to work out well.

It was in the high 80's when I gilded this job. I also take short coffee and snack breaks at strategic times when I need to stall for drying.

I have a distressed reverse gold window job coming up soon (this ones at least a 3 day job!) I noticed you recommend dr martins ink as one of your distressing techniques.
I thought I would give that a shot along with removing some of the leaf. Any tips??? Its gotta look 100 years old.

thanks!
Bob Gamache
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

That looks great Bob. I'm sure the client was very pleased!
bob gamache

Post by bob gamache »

Thanks for the feedback Jerry! They were very happy, and I'm hoping they will care for it properly (window washing...........always a nightmare!!!)
Bob Gamache
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Bob,
Yep, that's a nice job! Keep it up!

You might even consider doing a step-by-step next time you do one similar and post the photos here as a few others have done.

Cheers,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Mike Jackson wrote:Hi Bob,
Yep, that's a nice job! Keep it up!

You might even consider doing a step-by-step next time you do one similar and post the photos here as a few others have done.

Cheers,
Mike Jackson
I have to place my support for Mike's suggestion Bob.
Great work like your s need's breaking down for lesser mortals like me to drool over :D
bob gamache

Post by bob gamache »

Many thanks Mike and Anthony, I appreciate the nice encouragement.
I'm always learning!
I"ll make a point to document my next 1 day window job.
Bob Gamache
Jes Troelsen

Post by Jes Troelsen »

Hi Bob Gamache

I find your work very inspiring.
And all in one day, amassing...
But it leaves me with one question, what paint do you use ?
I'm new in glass painting and am trying to do things right from the start...
I hear that one shot paint is not what it used to be, or how ?
Many different opinions.
So i thought I'll ask you, since you seems know ..

Regards Jes
Jes Troelsen
Ovner at AKANTUS, www.akantus-maler.dk
Danish painter, gilder, sign writer.
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

Nicely done Bob. Thanks for the plug. I like to use technology when I can to expedite the completion and consequential remuneration. Glad to see you mention the coffee and food breaks, it really seems to help keep us from going back to it too soon. I also would prefer to plan well in advance and spend a productive 9 hour day on location.