Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

a project or 2

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Bernhardt

a project or 2

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Just needed to add how much I'm enjoying reading all the posts here as well. Summer is such a busy time for us all and it's difficult to find time for everything that needs attending everyday. I do stop in here at least 4 or 5 times a week and admire the work and interest of everyone. Just finished a large job which has kept me busy since the beginning of June and although not installed yet thought it might be worth sharing.

the rosette is a small part of a similar and in fact part of the same group as Peter Devine's which was from last summer. I just got the "portfolio" shot a few weeks ago.
Attachments
2e-rosette1.jpg
2e-rosette1.jpg (86.21 KiB) Viewed 13398 times
2e-snug mouldings1.jpg
2e-snug mouldings1.jpg (140.96 KiB) Viewed 13405 times
2e-peter devines detail1.jpg
2e-peter devines detail1.jpg (156.19 KiB) Viewed 13393 times
2e-peter devines front2.jpg
2e-peter devines front2.jpg (118.17 KiB) Viewed 13408 times
Pat Welter

Re: a project or 2

Post by Pat Welter »

Doug, this is fantastic work, absolutley fantastic...
Is the rosette carved in maple? I, just love the look of hand done work with the tool marks, It just shows love and passion for what you are doing, thanks for sharing...Pat.
Creativity is allowing ones self to make mistakes. Talent is knowing which ones to keep.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Wow! Doug you pulled it off again mate. Astonishing workmanship! I think all those trips to England photographing old pubs have certainly paid off with your style.
If you were around 100 years ago over here I bet your name would be on every pub sign, this is as good as it gets..... The Queen of England would of made you a (Sir) by now if you were a Brit.
Dave
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Sir Doug, truly amazing work :!: As I have said before your carving skills are astonishing. Thank you so much for sharing these photos with all of us wannabee carvers.

You are, as one of Noel's glass pieces from years ago said, an "Executive Craftsman" in the truest sense.

Ron
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Not just the carving skills...you are doing a killer job on the woodworking! Always impressed!

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Thanx Guys....just trying to be a signpainter. Davey....when the Queen visited here this summer she brought this up with me. I suggested Sir Reginald but Betty said that name was taken...so she's thinking about Sir Jeremy Plodsnot. I'll just have to wait I think. Pat....this is all mahogany as it's an excellent outdoor wood and carves like a dream. The harder the wood the more detail you can get but maple I'm guessing would be all but impossible on something that size. It's about 30ft. Have been having a great time with the wood working parts as Mike suggests.....in fact it is becoming my favourite part of every job. I'm not a real carver as in figures and faces etc....just attached to all the architectural things.

Here's a couple more from same Devine's
Attachments
2e-IMG_0322.jpg
2e-IMG_0322.jpg (76.45 KiB) Viewed 13224 times
2e-turning1.jpg
2e-turning1.jpg (98.32 KiB) Viewed 13222 times
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

For an old guy you do really good work. :)

You are simply amazing. A true artist and craftsman in the highest degree. Thanks for sharing with us.
Jeff Lang

Post by Jeff Lang »

Doug,
Your sharings never cease to amaze!
Thanks for the shots, I'll study them some more...
Jeff
Jeff Lang
Olde Lang Signs
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
412-732-9999
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Doug,

As always, the varity of skills that you exhibit are amazing.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful work with us.

Joe,
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
bob gamache

Post by bob gamache »

Awesome awsome job Doug! Whats the weight on that puppy?
Bob Gamache
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Thanx for all the kind words guys....what can I say...is still fun to go to work everyday when you have something like this to challenge you. Bob....me thinks this here puppy will weigh in at about 500LBS. I've just been using "mandralics" to move the sections around the shop. Used to have the weight of some of these woods written down per board foot...made that calculation easy. So sorry....that's as close as I can guess.

A couple more from the snug pub
Attachments
2e-letter P carving1.jpg
2e-letter P carving1.jpg (134.85 KiB) Viewed 13040 times
2e-IMG_0622.jpg
2e-IMG_0622.jpg (125.63 KiB) Viewed 13039 times
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

How about "Sir Claude Mitzelpick", I believe that one is still available. :mrgreen:
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

you always was the best hand carving gilder I've ever met,
and you remain true to form!

excellent craftsmanship, maestro.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Pat Welter

Post by Pat Welter »

Doug, the missing buttons, is that where you will be running install screws in, then buttoning up?...Love the rich colour and your style is second to none...Pat
Creativity is allowing ones self to make mistakes. Talent is knowing which ones to keep.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Okay you bunch of Tossers...(like my English english?) I thought a few things which no-one has mentioned would be the most interesting...and as our gracious host Jackson has mentioned, they are are a couple of the greatest tricks I've learned in woodworking. So Mike's answers don't count as he already knows them...and Baronian(clever bugger). No prize other than being right, which is pretty good huh?...(although I'll work on something in the meantime). 1/ How did I get the body (round part) of the harp cut in half and to fit like that ? and 2/ how were those mouldings done? There are 3 sections of it mind you as photo's clearly show.

More photos to follow with the solutions to these puzzles. I am guessing that someone will have an answer a few hours from now...as far as woodworking it's pretty basic stuff but to me...when I discovered them, it was pretty huge.

Pat...you hit it right on...the empty holes are pre-drilled, waiting for screws and I have a few dozen buttons finished and waiting for final install. As I write all this, it is on my mind how to do away with easy fixes and "hides" like these. You can see the same wood buttons on the Devine's job as well....Drat!
Last edited by Doug Bernhardt on Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

oh I should add....that from now on...It's official...I'm called Sir Nigel (pronounced Sur Nijo) thanx to Ron, Lizzy took the suggestion as Smitty forwarded her this link and she got on with it all..."pronounced Awwl"
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Well, you don't need me to tell you what I think of your work. You already know..

Does descriptions on splitting the turning exclude me too? If you saw the piece in person, not turning on the lathe as pictured, it would be a dead give away for anyone that's done any lathe work. Kinda like looking at a piece of heavy timber that because of it's shape or size, you'd never know how it was clamped together unless you know the marks of pinch dogs.

For me, the hardest part, aside from the carving and design, is to cut the large moldings to the right angle and length without any gaps at all. Cut a part undersized and you do it again. Or do you have a good supply of sawdust, glue and wood filler.

You're fortunate to live in an area to peddle your particular talent. We've all heard 'you can do/sell that anywhere'. I'd have to disagree for the work you're known for. I can't think of one place in the US I've ever seen such exquisite wood work / carving, let alone enough work to support a shop with your talent. A lot like Smitty.

And if there is a place in the US with a facade like those pictured, you probably made it and shipped it down, right?!

Yep, I do admire your work, eh!

BTW: Who/how is installation handled? I assume the general does that, right? Not something I'd want to tackle.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

Beautiful Doug! I can see you truly enjoy your work.
Your work stands alone.
cam bortz

Post by cam bortz »

Doug, your craftsmanship is stunning. We're not worthy! Danny made the point about no place in the US that would be willing to pay for this calibre of work; of that I'm not so sure - but one thing I've seen, more often, is an unwillingness or indifference to maintain it. I long ago stopped selling carved and varnished mahogany because clients couldn't be bothered to keep up with regular maintenance, and it broke my heart to see nice work go to the dogs without it.