Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

tire safety (when traveling to your next job)

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Patrick Mackle

tire safety (when traveling to your next job)

Post by Patrick Mackle »

This could be considered a little off topic, (thus the job reference) but it is something important that I want all of my friends to know. It happened to me while driving my one ton Ford dually at 65MPH over the old Pasadena Frwy bridge. The left front tire disintigrated so violently that it bent the interior door jam and nearly ripped the steering wheel out of both hands. If I would have had only one hand on the wheel, or was "multitasking" or changing a CD, I would have come out the worst for it. It's lucky traffic was VERY light, as the truck jumped into the next lane even though I was steering straight. Older tires are ticking time bombs, no matter what country you live in. They age in the sun and ozone on your car. AND they can be sold as "new" when they are actually old shelf stock. Rubber is rubber, just like that hardened eraser on your sketch pencil that won't erase anymore.
Pat
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897
Last edited by Patrick Mackle on Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roderick Treece

Re: tire safety (when traveling to your next job)

Post by Roderick Treece »

Hi Pat,
Your so right ! Were getting ready to take a long road trip and I just noticed two of my fairly new tires are very cracked so I'm getting them changed out before we leave.
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Wow Pat, glad you didn't biff.
So did you check the date code off the other remaining tires?
I went out and checked mine, they are 111, bought 'em in April.
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Well Larry, seeing that those tires are the only thing between you and the road, and you are at the mercy of the tire manufacturers, you have to ask yourself, how many years are on those tires? Does that "111" mean the first week of 2011, or is it the eleventh week of 2001? Well how about it? Do ya feel lucky? Pal?
Dirty Tire. :twisted:
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Allways trying to get the attention!
Did you heart your nose?
How is your car?
Hope you have no injuries Pat.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Bill DeBekker

Post by Bill DeBekker »

Actually Larry after watching that CBS report your tire was made in the 11th week of 1991. Tires made after 2000 have 4 numbers.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hope your ok Pat. I always ask at my garage what the dates are on the side of the tyre's just like I do when I buy milk and bread from the local shop. Everything has a sell buy date, I've always done this, Buying your tyres from a well known dealer is also a good idea. To see this news clip is very shocking.

Dave
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Dave,
I agree mate. If your tires appear the least bit curdled or moldy, you'd be best hoofin' it!
Pat
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Glad you are OK Pat. There are so many unforseens in this life, a good heads up never hurts.
Have you managed to do any glass painting since we were in the Czech? I need to touch base with you one of these days and get all fired up with ideas again. :D
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Erik, Dave, Larry, and Kelly,
Thank you all for your concern, but actually that front tire problem actually happened about two years ago, I was only recounting that experience as a lesson on how quickly and unexpected a tire problem can occur. I am safe now thank you all.

However, back when I bought the double sets of new rear tires(4 rear tires), the dealer mounted and balanced them but ONLY tightened 3 of the 8 lug nuts down. 5 lugs were only partially threaded on- SOMEBODY WENT TO LUNCH!!! Right in the middle of an important procedure! I had bought those rear tires as a specific precaution- just to be safe- just before traveling up to Larry's for a Deadman get together. I have never mentioned it until now, but myself, Dave Smith, John Jordan, Noel Weber and John Studden traveled around in the truck a few good miles. Now, I might take some rubbing on this, but it wasn't my doing, and I had bought NAME BRAND tires at a NAME BRAND store, I wanted to get the best. Add to that the fact that I drove very cautiously, considering that I was carrying a VERY precious cargo of well loved and talented passengers. That being said, we all arrived safely.

After I returned home, I decided to pull the rear hub caps and tires off to inspect everything and that was when I discovered the protruding loose lugs which immediately stood out as terribly wrong. I made a point of notifying my discovery by phone to the tire store manager, and was quite appalled at his lack of concern. All that I can say to everyone who reads this is the famous line- "buyer beware!".
Pat