Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Gilded yard sign

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Pat Welter

Gilded yard sign

Post by Pat Welter »

This is the sign we installed today. The landscaping is not completed. The raised letters, lilacs and hands are all hand cut and carved HDU The sign is finished with Benjamin Moore Aura on HDU with a steel insert frame. The letters and hands are gilded with 23kt gold. The treated posts are covered with a fluted aluminum sleeve. We cut 1 1/4 inch thick granite for the post caps. The sign is 48 inch x 28 inch.
Attachments
100_4524.jpg
100_4524.jpg (194.23 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
100_4525 copy.jpg
100_4525 copy.jpg (176.21 KiB) Viewed 4411 times
100_4527.jpg
100_4527.jpg (129.68 KiB) Viewed 4403 times
Creativity is allowing ones self to make mistakes. Talent is knowing which ones to keep.
Jerry Berg

Re: Gilded yard sign

Post by Jerry Berg »

Very nice job on this sign Pat!
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Very classy sign Pat,great job !
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Looks Dy-no-mite Pat :!: So, is the background two layer of HDU sandwiched together with steel frame inside?
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Pat Welter

Post by Pat Welter »

Yes Ron, this is two layers of one inch HDU, routed to allow a 3/4 inch box steel frame to sit in...There is paintable silicon only where the steel frame comes thought the HDU on the ends. This allow the steel frame freedom to expand and contract in the heat and cold since HDU does not expand. the routed groove to hold the steel frame is also made slightly bigger to allow for this movement. If you didn't allow for the movement of the steel frame there could be a chance for the HDU splitting or cracking...the two one inch pieces of HDU are glued together and I use screws counter sunk from the back as clamps. I counter sink the screw well enough to put in an HDU plug which we make to fit the hole, glue them in and flush cut them to the back...We use a high build automotive primer which seals and hides any of the small imperfections from the plugs... (before priming, all raised elements are also glued on.) I use a polyurathene glue to glue up everything (acetone can be used to cleanup before the glue sets). Hope this helps. Pat.
Creativity is allowing ones self to make mistakes. Talent is knowing which ones to keep.
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Pat,

That's a great looking sign!!!

I especially like to see raised prismatics done right. The distortions done to raised prismatics by CNC's really set me off.

Very nice job.

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!